XR7G found in San Jose / New to registry

Hey, Mr B - SPAMMER ALERT!!!

My first time catching it before anyone else!

I would also like to see detailed photos of this car, and read more about its condition today. Anytime a car that is mostly untouched turns up, we can certainly learn from it and appreciate the detail that was put into the design.

Someone asked for some photos of the GTE scoop and location on the car as well as the fasteners used to secure the lanyards to the hood.
OK. I tried to attach photos but I can’t figure out how to do it. Any suggestions?

Go to Photobucket.com and make an account. Load your pictures there and then once the pictures are loaded, don’t click on the picture, just pass the curser over the picture and you will see a drop down menu. Go to the bottom of that where is says image code and click on that. It will save that picture and you can past it here.
If you have a lot of pictures to load on photobucket, you can load all of them at once. When you click upload, you will see the file you have on your computer that has all the pictures, you can at that time select all of them and they will all load all at once.
One thing, when posting/pasting you pictures here, hit the enter button on your key pad twice. This extra space will help the image codes not to run into each other. In other words make sure you have a blank line between each picture code.

Great thread and a wonderful car. Getting to see how a mostly untouched Cougar was put together is neat. It’s kind of like a history lesson. I can’t wait to see more pictures. On the non-sunroof G’s did they keep the factory headliner? I know they have a sunroof switch but was curious about the interior sunroof panel. In one of the interior shots showing the overhead console I’m not sure if I see a headliner seam or the edge of a panel.
Steven

This thread explains exactly how to attach photos.https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/howto-post-images-in-the-forum/86/1

Or you can email them to me and I will post them for you!

billb at classiccougarcommunity dot com Put in the @ and the . remove the spaces. If I put the email addy here intact it generates a ton of spam.

Steven;

In the non-sunroof G’s the same basic stock headliner was used. At least it was this way in the non-sunroof G I just sold that still had its original headliner in it.

Thanks Scott. That must be the headliner seam I see in the picture.
Steven

The sunroof headliner in my 4 speed G is original and it has mitered corners in the front. Other cars I have seen were the same as standard roof cars, so there may have been some variance.

The sunroofs were installed in various ways during production. Initially they were installed at the American Sunroof facility. Later AO Smith bought tooling and did some of the sunroof installations but was botching them horribly. They then tried a separate fiberglas cover interior panel. That proved time consuming and costly, so they brought in the AO Smith guys to operate the tooliing and install the sunroofs at AO Smith.

So you have early and late sunroof installations that should have the corners specially sewn, and a batch in the middle with the fiberglas panel and a stock sew pattern.

Bill and Royce thanks for helping with my sunroof question. Cool history lesson about how things were changed durning manufacturing at the different locations.
Steven

Oddly enough the 4 speed car has the miter corner headliner and the plastic panel in the front. I think you meant plastic instated of fiberglass? I have three or four of the plastic ones, but I have never seen fiberglas.

I’ve only seen them installed, never had one out of the car in my hands, so if you say plastic then plastic it is.

Has there been any detailed pics of this car taken and posted anywhere yet? (Just a curious mind, that’s all)

We haven’t taken many pictures yet but I did take a couple shots today while replacing the fuel system. Still got some things to do on it but after 34 years, it runs and I drove it out of the driveway, around the cul de sac and back into the garage.

Thanks for the update Jeff.

I finally had some time to create a Photobucket account to post a couple of pictures in response to a couple of specific questions regarding the scoop, lanyard fasteners, and I think, the third horn.

Thanks for the pics Scott. (keep em coming) I’m still researching the lanyards. I see there still riveted to the hood, and I don’t see any crimped ends with a swivel on the other, that’s what I was looking for. Thanks again.

The G lanyards do not have the swivel piece that you have seen elsewhere. The crimping is correct on those ones, but the swivel is not.
There is a guy that sells the entire G pin and clip set. They are reproduction. The clips and pins and chrome washer (attaches to hood) are very good, but the plastic on the lanyard is not quite as thick as it was for the G. He may have corrected this, but last set I saw they were still a bit thin.

Scott are you saying the ones on this car here has a hex crimp on it? What I’m seeing in your pictures looks exactly like the one I got with my G. Yes they are crimped but only round. The ones I have seen with the swivel actually have a hex crimp on the end and a swivel on the other.