XR7G found in San Jose / New to registry

Has there been any detailed pics of this car taken and posted anywhere yet? (Just a curious mind, that’s all)

We haven’t taken many pictures yet but I did take a couple shots today while replacing the fuel system. Still got some things to do on it but after 34 years, it runs and I drove it out of the driveway, around the cul de sac and back into the garage.

Thanks for the update Jeff.

I finally had some time to create a Photobucket account to post a couple of pictures in response to a couple of specific questions regarding the scoop, lanyard fasteners, and I think, the third horn.

Thanks for the pics Scott. (keep em coming) I’m still researching the lanyards. I see there still riveted to the hood, and I don’t see any crimped ends with a swivel on the other, that’s what I was looking for. Thanks again.

The G lanyards do not have the swivel piece that you have seen elsewhere. The crimping is correct on those ones, but the swivel is not.
There is a guy that sells the entire G pin and clip set. They are reproduction. The clips and pins and chrome washer (attaches to hood) are very good, but the plastic on the lanyard is not quite as thick as it was for the G. He may have corrected this, but last set I saw they were still a bit thin.

Scott are you saying the ones on this car here has a hex crimp on it? What I’m seeing in your pictures looks exactly like the one I got with my G. Yes they are crimped but only round. The ones I have seen with the swivel actually have a hex crimp on the end and a swivel on the other.

Oops! Meant to say that the crimping and the swivel are not correct on those other ones.

hmmm, looks like the 3rd horn is missing a nut?

And I notice that the lanyard is pop-riveted to the underside of the hood? Did we ever figure out if the hood was replaced on this car (considering the GT-E scoop)?

Here are some pics I took of a very original Hertz G. Looks like the lanyard is bolted to the hood.

Phil, the third horn is not missing a bolt. There is a hole in the bracket where a bolt could go, but none I’ve seen ever had a bolt there.
Still don’t know if the hood was replaced. It looks pretty original, but I don’t want to take it apart to find out. The next owner can have that priveledge.
That is the correct lanyard on the picture you show, however it does not look to be like any fastener I’ve seen on a G. Is it connected to the hood trim? They were never connected there, they were riveted or screwed to the lip a bit back from the trim. I will post some better pictures of the lanyard connections on my blue G, when I get a chance.

I’m going to say that the hood has not been replaced, just repainted. The underside of the hood appears to be the exact shade of lime frost as the inner fenders and cowl. The hood pin holes look factory to me. The front two hood scoop studs, which are the only ones I can see without removing the hood pad have some green paint on them and so does the stack of washers under the nuts.

G hood scoops are not located in the same place as the GT-E scoop. The GT-E is much closer to the rear of the hood. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that the holes in the hood are located slightly forward on a G car.

I’m not sure how the G parts were installed on the cars but wouldn’t the hood scoop be painted before being applied to the hood? I’d think that would cut down cost of painting the whole hood. If this is the case why would the GT-E scoop on this G have its washers and nuts painted green? To me that kind of sounds like a quicker way to paint the entire hood and scoop after a replacement thus all the nuts and washers would get painted while the entire hood was being painted. Any thoughts, does this make any sense?
Steven

I would think the scoop was painted first before being put on. How else would the black snorkel areas be painted. It would be hard to do after assembly without over spray.

None of my G cars has had the scoop fastening nuts painted over.

Bill, this is just theory but since the GT-E scoop were put on at the Ford plant and all the xr7-G’s were done at A.O.Smith maybe they had different templates.(if used) I’m thinking maybe at A.O.Smith they may have told the workers use about an inch as a reference, I wouldn’t think they had a precise measurement. Only reason I say this is, this has been talked about before and some of the G owners reported them as being as far as a 1 1/2" out from the back of the hood. As mine is only 11/16 from the rear of the hood. I heard of measurements all in between. I’m about sure my hood is original to the car as I still have the rivets still in place. Speaking of which, that’s how I thought all of the lanyards were attached, by rivets.

That’s kind of why I’m thinking at some point this hood and scoop were replaced.

To me the GT-E style scoop dosen’t take away from the car at all. It just adds intrigue to it, at least for me anyway. :slight_smile:
Steven

Another way to tell if the hood is original, but usually you have to do it with the hood off the car. Tip the hood front to back and you should hear the metal plugs that were cut out when the hood pin holes were drilled rattling around inside the hood. get a magnet and fish around in there and you can get them out. I have the two cut out plugs from my g car. They usually roll to the back of the hood and stay there, so you can’t get them back to the front without removing the hood and tipping it foward. Ofcourse, the shop replacing the hood could leave them in there as well.

I have the original engineering drawing for the G hood. It is 1" to 1" scale so it was too big to scan and put on line. It shows the location of the hood scoop and the holes for the hood pins. There were some car to car variations, but a standard did exist. For the hood scoop manufacturer there had to be a “right” location because the profile of the hood changes. In particular at the front of the scoop where it meets the hood center line.

This statement is backwards. Sorry about that. The GT-E is closer to the back. The GT-E is about 1 1/2" and the G about 1/2" from the back of the hood. And I checked to see where the holes are located and they are very different. If I can find the right cable to upload the pics, I will have some support for these statements.