XR7G found in San Jose / New to registry

Years ago (about 1997) a guy contacted me about a huge NOS parts stash he had got from an estate in San Jose. He dealt with 30-40’s Fords so he had minimal interest in the Cougar parts cars and parts so I bought them all. He mentioned the family kept one Cougar back and they might sell “someday”. I have remained friends with him all these years and he always mentions this car and he is “still workin on it”. He calls me the other day and says he got it but “man does it got ugly wheels”. LOL! Too bad someone “who meant well” peeled off the steering wheel cover as it was intact a few days ago. Alas, no sunroof but it is original paint, parked in doors since 1978 with 133k showing on the odom.

Holy Crap, any more details Don?

Got pictures and is it a big block G? You knew that question was comming. You buying it Don or is your friend going to keep it. Not that I’m interested as I just made multiple rare Cougar purchases last week.

Well Brian, looks like you have some explaining to do also. Lololo

Yes… Brian, do tell, your story sounds much more interesting!

The legendary Scott Ferguson just bought the car (a few minutes ago) and will be headed down to San Jose next week to trailer it back to Canada (or at least Seattle for a major detail and minor mechanical resto). He says if someone met him in San Jose with a trailer and 4 rollers they could have the car for $16k as is. Scott really just wants the wheels for his G but I told him that was not going to happen, all or nothing. Scott does have another set of G Radir wheels he would sell but they are in poor condition. Contact me if you want Scott’s number, I am just posting for him as he is not a “forum guy”.

Wow, so it’s got all 4 Raders?

How about the spare?

Looks like no air also.

Very cool - please, more pics when you get the chance Don!

5 Radirs! The only options are PDB, Tilt and Vinyl top… I have more pics but lets let the new owner have some fun and show it off.

Would love to hear the story on how it kept it’s wheels.

Guess the owner never had it serviced at a dealer and was unaware of the recall?

I wonder, if you wanted to keep the Radirs if the Mercury dealers had a waver you could sign…

Neat story.

So would these wheels be the same and the real deal for an XR7-G car…saw this on CL the other night…

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/3204075692.html

Neat story indeed. Thanks for sharing it Don. It’s really cool knowing that cars like this are still out there to be found. Love those “ugly” wheels.
Steven

Just like that…? You find the holy grail of XR7G parts? WOW! I told him I will take them! Thanks for the post, I owe you! (If I get them which the chances are slim… LOL!)

This is a fascinating thread.

While you were sleeping… Oh my. What a find! and then another find… and maybe more to come

I will tell all, but I’m not to the end of the story yet. Then I’ll need a couple of days to catch my breath.

This is exciting, two great finds. I see that it has both switches in the center console, since it didn’t get the sun roof, would the one switch be a dummy?

Correct… That is what bugs me about non roof G cars. I know, I should get over it. Still boggles my mind someone put a set of those for sale for what one wheel was worth, knew what they were AND in the back yard of Scott Ferguson who is driving all the way to CA to buy a car he does not want just to get those same wheels! Speaking of deals in your own back yard, this jewel is only a few miles from my place and I saw it a day late! The new owner will probably call me and offer it to me at $1700 and I will just have to bite my lip and pay it…

That is a great deal, if it is a solid car, It will make a really sweet ride. I wonder what the motor was?

What a cool story. Don, please give Scott my regards.

By the way, I still have an excellent original set of Rader wheel center extensions and G center caps. I might be willing to part with them to complete someone’s set of recall wheels.

Fran
IMAG0700.jpg