Scam call? Seems likely...

I’m pretty new to the forum so maybe everyone but me was aware of stuff like this…

Posted in “parts wanted” section yesterday that I was looking for ‘68 interior pieces like console pads, etc. Listed my contact number in the post like the forum instructions said.

This morning I got a call from “TJ” with a number showing in Fallon, NV 775-217-0781. “TJ” said he got a call from somebody in Oregon who saw my post and told him I was looking for interior parts in dark ivy gold. He proceeded to offer me what he described as a complete and near perfect interior, including seats, for $300. He then claimed he had no way to send me pictures of anything because he had a flip phone and no computer. And then when I started to extract myself from the call he told me he needed to know “right away” because otherwise he was taking it all to the dump.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I figured people should know that this forum is being checked for scammer leads.

I dunno, that sounds oddly specific to be a scammer, and it’s possible that it’s an older person who really doesn’t do well with technology. Definitely sounds fishy but could also be legit. Of course, if I were in your shoes I would never send money without at least seeing pictures of the items. I also don’t post my phone # on the internet as a general rule. At least with craigslist it gets masked.

Yeah, it seemed potentially legit enough that I kept it cordial with the guy and told him I’d be in touch.

Maybe someone on here referred him? I’d love to be wrong on this.

Traces as a legit mobile number out of Reno, but that means nothing these days. Seems odd that he was in a rush though. How far is he from you? Looks like a 4 hour drive on Map Quest. Might be worth a trip to see? If he’s scamming you he likely wouldn’t waste the time to set up a meeting.

If he’s legit I would be interested in buying the parts you don’t need as I am also restoring an Ivy Gold XR7G that needs lot of interior pieces. Unfortunately NV is a three day drive for me from Ontario.

You know I’m going through the same thing in a way as an in-law trying to help the mother-in-law sell off truck parts and a brand new rebuilt high dollar 390 engine. The big dollar item is that engine and as far as all the other new parts for that truck, of which there are many, they’re probably headed to the dump. So the fella wants to or needs to get those things out of the way as do we.
I know where Pacifica is and it’s quite a little drive to those parts and you just may not have the time to go see them.
IF a gut feeling tells you this all of this isn’t going to work for you ,bail out and go to Plan B.
There are a million stories and angles when it come to selling cars and parts. There are a lot of scammers out there and yet there are some good people. I’ll be glad when I’m out of what I’m into.

I wouldn’t have such a bad feeling about it if the guy wasn’t insisting on “right now” without seeing anything. Maybe he is legit but I’ve seen too many scams where they hook you with the “now or never” line.

If you bail out don’t worry about it.If Ford made 1 dark ivy gold interior they probably made another one and it’s out there-somewhere.
That 390 engine I’m involved with is coming to my house tomorrow and if it doesn’t sell by mid November it’s going right back to the in-laws.A guy can only have so much stuff laying around.
Pacifica, Ca.Every bit of 40 years ago I sold a white Torino Talladega to a guy up there. Ca.lic 244 BCQ, blue plate w/yellow.By some 1 in a million chances have you seen that car if it’s still up there?

Seems unlikely that he’d really be taking a “near perfect” interior set (that he knows at least one person wants) to the dump.

I haven’t seen it yet but I’ll definitely keep an eye out! There are plenty of nice old Ford products tucked away around here.

It sounds like the truck would be a 1960s-1970s model. If so those are quite popular and other parts for them should be sellable. Are they new Ford parts? Reproduction? Let me know more please. Thank you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Maybe someone on here would be close enough to go take a look for you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Hate to be an extreme sceptic, but this is most likely a scam. It is very commonly used tactic for numerous sales, especially on CraigsList.

This one isn’t even tricky. Exactly what you want for a lot less than it’s worth but it has to be right now.

If it seems too good to be true…

Scam for sure. Offer to send him a check for way more than the amount he is asking, and…you know the drill…