Don Nicholson's 428CJ Cougar - It's repair and restoration

Amazing car Royce, I’m glad that you are digging in to restore it. A thread keeping everyone updated on the restoration would be neat to see.

Congratulations!

Future article for ATSOTC?

Tulsa April 2017 debut?

Very cool Royce! I look forward to seeing more pics and learning more about your new car :slight_smile:

I looked through my collection of Eliminator Marti Reports and did not find any specifically labelled as “Marketing Vehicle” order types. Being they are '69/'70, the wording may have been changed slightly from '68.

That said, I did find a few unusual orders types among the Retail and Stock orders…

1 Special Purpose Vehicle (1970 Boss 302, Comp Gold, Black Int, 19 options)
1 Product Planning / Styling Vehicle (1970 CJ/4sp, Comp Green, White int)
1 Sales Vehicle (1970 Boss 302, Comp Green, White Int, Ford of Canada)
2 Stock-Dealer Demonstrator
1 Company Lease Plan
1 A Plan Vehicle (Coca-Cola Eliminator)
1 Summer-Winter Rental
1 Pool Vehicle (L/M Boston District Sales Office)
1 Dealer Lease

Also multiple examples of…
Fleet- To Be Repurchased ('70 Hertz Sunroof Eliminators)
Fleet ('69 Hertz Sunroof Eliminators)

Congrats Royce. Quite the find!!

Phil J

The address of 50000 Grand River, Wixom, MI is within 1/8 mile from the old Wixom assembly plant. This plant built many Lincoln vehicles as well as special cars such as the re-introduced 2000-2005 T-birds. There has always been 2-3 cars on display on the roof of the assembly plant which could be seen from the I-96 freeway. I wonder if this car was on display on the assembly plant roof back in '68.

Have not heard anything like that. The car was given to Don in Atlanta, Georgia where he lived at that time.

Ray,

The dates on the Marti are too close together for that car to go up on the roof of Wixom. All the ones I ever saw up on the roof before they closed the plant were models that were at least partially assembled there including the 2004-2006 GT.

Hi, Royce. What a nice car!

I’ve looked a lot of Marti Reports over the years, mostly on eBay, and started keeping a list of order types. Here is what I’ve observed:

Stock
Retail
Stock – Dealer Demonstrator
Fleet
Gov. & Civic Org.
Basic
Basic – Off Std. Equipment
Test Vehicle
Company Lease Plan
Local Promotion
Dealer Lease
(Blank) – observed this on exported vehicle, i.e., a 1967 T-5, DSO 93)
A Plan Vehicle
Special Fleet
Engineering Prototype
Introductory Show Unit
Summer-Winter Rental
Sales Vehicle
Product Planning/Styling Vehicle
Marketing Vehicle
Special Purpose Vehicle.

I agree, it was released and sold on the very same day, according to the Marti Report.

Awesome car!!!

Missed one. I have one that is: order type: POOL Vehicle

Great, thank you for adding another to the list!

I’d read in one of Kevin Marti’s books that there are at least 25 order types, so now we are one closer to knowing them all.

Along with Pool Vehicle, you can add the following to the list. Some may be duplicates / similar names that change slightly depending on the model year, like the A-Plan and Dealer Lease nomenclature.

Dealer Stock
Dealer Lease - Lincoln/Mercury
Loan Out Program
Lease - Re-Lease
A-Plan (Ford Employee Purchase Plan)
Introductory Show Unit Control
Company Show Vehicle - Display
Winter-Summer Rental / Primary Daily Rental
Fleet - To Be Repurchased

Thank you, Mike, for the additions. Between all of us, we must now have a nearly complete list.

Well it has been busy around here trying to get the car where it can make it through the state inspection process. The carburetor started acting funny, so I took it apart and found it had all sorts of rust inside that was so fine it passes right through the fuel filter. I rebuilt the carburetor, then pulled the gas tank. The tank was full of rust so it got replaced, and a new filter sock and float fixed the non - working fuel sender.

Only one element of the LH turn signals worked. I discovered 7 bad bulbs, and the turn signal switch was defective. Spent half a day de - pinning the old switch after disassembling the tilt column, and re - pinning a new switch.

I rebuilt the power steering pump, replaced the bent crankshaft pulley, and installed a new set of belts.

Still have to troubleshoot the non - working headlight doors, headlight high beams, horns, wipers, tachometer and brake lights but making progress. I drove the car around the block and discovered that it has a Detroit Locker - excellent!

Today was another busy day. I started by replacing a broken T fitting in the headlight vacuum plumbing. Then replaced the hose from the check valve to the vacuum reservoir. That fixed the headlight doors.

Removed the high / low beam switch. It was jammed, stuck in high beam. Soaked it in WD40 for a while, twisted the cap back and forth and it released. The pot metal body had corrosion bubbling up on the outside. I used a fine file to clean up the corrosion, which fixed the problem. Reinstalled the switch, all is good.

I pulled the dash out and found the windshield wiper switch had come unplugged. Easy fix.

Unplugged the brake lamp switch and jumpered the switch with a cotter pin. The brake lights all came on. Went to my used electrical parts box and found this:

So I cleaned it up and installed it. Brake lights work great!

Next the horns. I unplugged the horns, and installed a 12V test lamp. The lamp lights each time the horn ring is pushed. Next, I removed both the horns and with the test lamp in series, hooked up 12 volts. The lamp does not illuminate, so the horns are open electrically. I ordered a pair of good used ones from Don. Getting closer!

Here are videos of the results. Great to have full functionality of both the headlamps and the tail lamps with all original components!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfX2X5lDTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQgciBaRLy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX2o1H-uEbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQuUuUBMicY

Nice work! Do you have some interior/engine pics?

Gary I keep forgetting to take some. Will get some and post here in the next day or two.

Royce, to post the videos you just that last section (such as BQuUuUBMicY) and use the YouTube button

Wow, looks like you are making great progress. The big question is, what is in the 8-track player?