Bad news

Copycatvert took a hard hit in the left rear quarter this afternoon. My wife brought me back from the ER a little while ago. The wrecker just dropped off something resembling my car. Don’t have it in me to get up and take pictures yet. Very depressed.

So sorry to hear that! I hope you are okay! We will be here for you.

Apparently I hit the side of my head on the top frame. Lots of blood but fortunately only a few stitches. Bad headache so far. I think the driver of the minivan that hit me was ok. But she smacked me hard enough to spin my car a full 360. I bet it looked damn impressive!

Let the horror show begin…

Ouch !!! Hope everyone is eventually ok physically, sux about the vert :smoke:

And some more. It appears that the whole back half of the car is bent. Amazingly, the doors still open and close. I can’t open the trunk, though.

Well guys, I’m afraid I already know the answer but is she beyond repair?

Jody sorry to hear about the accident. The main thing first and foremost is that you are ok. As much as it hurts Cougars can be repaired or replaced. Wishing you and Copycat vert the best.
Steven

Thanks guys. I still can’t stp staring at the mess and getting madder by the minute. I’ve daily driven this car for over 10 years and logged nearly 70K miles without so much as a scratch. The lady that was driving the van that hit me didn’t even bother to come over to see if I was ok.

Looks like the care you took in fabrication paid off. Imagine what this would have looked like without all the structural work you did.

Take care of yourself first. Expect to wake up tomorrow feeling very stiff with a terrible headache. Have some painkiller of preference on hand.

Wow, that sucks! Glad you aren’t more seriously hurt.
Personally, I would take her to a reputable shop to have the “frame” straightened professionally, then I’d weld in a donor quarter panel, finish the body work and re-paint her. Hopefully the lady’s insurance will cover everything and they won’t try to just “total” her.
Keep us posted on your recovery and the vert’s too.

Compared to some of the rust repairs we have seen on this site, fixing this is cake. Well, maybe not cake, but it can be fixed.

Jody I’m just glad you are OK. Sorry to see this happen to a nice car though.

Oh man, glad it wasn’t worse for you! Sorry about your car though :frowning:

Sorry to hear and see this :frowning: wrost thing is that she did not care to check on you after the accident, ist it in the Law that you need to check if there is injured People at an accident ?

Now about your cat, first thing is to check the alignments, all the measures, crossmeasures etc to see if its bendt, and if so, if its bendt beyond repair.

I have a nice sticker in my Collection.

Medical alert: If this vehicle is in a crash, please tow vehicle to a reputable bodyshop for repairs, if the Cougar is repairable, then return and attend to driver. If the Cougar is not repairable, return and shoot driver

Wow, Jody, I’m sorry to see this happen!

I think the answer to your question will come down to your insurance coverage, which should trump hers. Anything is repairable, but at what cost and is that cost higher than the insured value of the car? If it helps, you could contact other 67-68 convertible owners and see if they have an idea of what their cars are currently valued at. There are only two “completed” conversion sales that I know of - CatVert at $37K and Barry Margolis’ car down in Florida. All the others were purchased as projects and won’t necessarily help with valuation.

Thanks again for the support, everyone, and the much needed dose of humor, Jan-o. I remember someone asking if I needed help standing up and I think I replied that I could as long as they didn’t let me see the back of the car.

Ugh. What a nightmare. Like the others said, the main thing is you are OK.
I hope the insurance people can be convinced what a unique car you have.
Wishing you courage and patience through the unpleasant journey ahead.

I got a pretty good look at the damage and here’s what I think would be needed to fix the car: the passenger Sid quarter is slightly buckled just below the quarter window which to me would indicate that the car is bent, but after pulling the subframes back into place, the passenger quarter panel most likely will be salvageable . Obviously, I’ll need a complete rear quarter section for the driver side- which I presume can be supplied from someone like Don at WCCC. Trunk floor and drop offs are all folded up. The lower valance looks ok except for some chipped paint. Probably the worst loss is the now ruined nearly perfect original chrome bumper. I’m sure the taillight panel will need some work. The trunk lid itself is fine except for some chipped paint. So I’m optimistic at this point that the car can be saved.

Yes, a sad situation all the way around.
About the woman not even inquiring about your condition- just on that alone you ought to try to ruin her life. She’s just a loser probably on dope.