WTB 69 70 cougar 428 scj

Looking for 69 or 70 scj project car, or a clean driver, would like a 4-speed must be fairly solid
dragpack70@aol.com thanks Steve

Indiana. $11.5k https://claz.org/classifieds?q=1969+Mercury+Cougar+SCJ needs a little TLC

The white / maroon one has been for sale off and on for a long time. Heavily modified, but it’s the real deal - or was at one time. This is what I have in my notes…

9F91R518373

Door Tag Data:
BOD CL TRM DATE DSO Ax Trans
65A T 1D 04L 26 W U

2/2011 ebay; highly modified, 427 side oiler, 25 years ago the car was totaly stripped, minitubbed, subframe, springs moved in with floater kit, ladderbars, multicolored paint

Thanks for the leads, looking for something more original with a straight body, I will pay finders fee for the right car thanks Steve

That explains a lot. It should read blueprinted 427 with 428 crank. The other way around didn’t make much sense to me.

The car you really should find is Scott Behncke’s old Cougar, a 1969 XR7 hardtop, 428 SCJ, 4.30 drag pak car. Maroon, black interior and black vinyl roof, 4 speed, what an amazing car!

Scott’s car was for sale back in summer 2015 and I looked up the link to post, but there are no pics and the eBay links are dead now…

There was also the '70 Competition Blue standard hardtop, SCJ / Auto (non-matching numbers) that came up a few times in the last few years (most recent was summer 2016). Not sure if it ever sold. I do have a phone number in my files though…

There was a 4.30 / 4-speed, non-ram air standard hardtop back in 2012. It was done up as a comp orange Eliminator clone, but was originally a blue metallic with white interior. Had subframes welded in. Don’t know if it has sold or not.

Is the red with white interior car forsale?

The Eliminator clone car resides about 20 minutes from me (assuming he still has it) and is an original 4.30 4 speed Standard Cougar hardtop (non XR-7 or Eliminator) and is one of 17(?) built. I inspected the car a while ago and it was in rough shape, fair bit of rust and missing many important parts in the engine compartment. The rear end and transmission might be original. The sad part is, he paid more than he should have for it and was planning on re-bodying it. I told him he shouldn’t do that and that restoring it properly would be the way to go. I haven’t spoke to him since and I sincerely hope he didn’t re-body it.

Wow I see you have a grabber green scj Mach 1 I looked for one of them for ten years did have one with a automatic but sold it wanting a 4-speed should of kept it gave up trying to buy one, maybe I can find a green scj cougar

Wow, better be patient on that one, or know someone that knows someone. Data I have indicates there were 36 Competition Green 428CJ Eliminators built. Looks like about 10 have been recorded in the Eliminator Registry. 3 of those are Drag-Pak / 4-speed cars - 2 with black standard interior, 1 with black & white houndstooth interior. But on the plus side, Eliminators are coming out of the woodwork all the time, so you never know when / where another one will turn up!

I don’t have specific numbers for non-Eliminator comp green SCJ’s, but I would hazard a guess that you are probably looking at single-digit numbers. Maybe a guestimation…

Cougar…by the Numbers shows that 856 Cougars were painted Competition Green in 1970. 720 of those were Standard Hardtops, 291 of which were Eliminators (of the 2,268 produced), giving us 12.8% of Eliminators were comp green. With the remaining 429 being comp green Standard Hardtops (of 49,479 produced), giving us 0.867% of Standard Hardtops were comp green. (*when I say “Standard” I mean the non-XR-7 model, not a manual transmission).

We know there were 145 SCJ Standard Hardtops built, 127 of which were Eliminators, leaving 18 non-Eliminator Standard Hardtop SCJs. 0.867% of 18 gives us roughly 0.156 Standard Hardtop SCJs built in Competition Green. So significantly less than 1 that in all probability there were none built :frowning:
Concurrently we see that 12.8% times the 127 SCJ Eliminators indicates that roughly 16 could have been painted Competition Green. Maybe.

Unfortunately I don’t have SCJ numbers for the standard convertibles, but only 7 SCJ XR-7 convertibles were built. Coupled with the very low numbers of those body styles having been painted Comp Green (27 Standard and 19 XR-7 convertibles in comp green), I think the odds are not favorable there.

XR-7 Hardtops, again I have no SCJ numbers for. But with 309 CJ XR-7’s built, we could guestimate some more… if they follow trend with the Standard Hardtop numbers, we know that there were 458 CJ standards with 145 of those being SCJ’s = 31.66% SCJ. So 31.66% of 309 would be about 98 cars. There were 90 Comp Green XR-7 Hardtops, out of 18,567 total XR-7’s = 0.48% So 0.48% of the 98 SCJ XR-7’s indicates that 0.47 of the SCJ XR-7’s might have been comp green. So there is a slim possibility that they built 1 SCJ XR-7 hardtop in competition green.

I think I’ll summarize and say that the production numbers for Competition Green SCJ Cougars is very small - maybe between 15 and 20. Adding in a 4-speed would drop it to half or less, maybe?

Ok, that was enlightening. Sorry for the ramble. If anyone happens to have any actual statistics to fill in some of the blanks, please share. I would greatly appreciate it.

Wow… I don’t think I’ve been around math like that since my college time study/statics class :doh: But, I actually was able to follow your math breakdown on the numbers.
The closes Cougar I have is my 69 XR7 428 CJ 4spd which is medium lime green with Ivy gold Corinthian interior. I haven’t gotten a Marti report to break it down by color. If I remember correctly it is one of 43 being a 4 spd.
IMGA0292.JPG

The only car I know of other than the 4.30 4 speed Std is a 1970 SCJ Eliminator project in Canada. It’s a 4.30 auto comp orange with what the owner to believes the complete original drivetrain (from what I remember). The owner wanted 55k last time I heard which was 2 years ago and I’m not even sure if he has it or wants to sell it. But, if you’re interested, I can pass along the owners info

Scott Behnke’s car.

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/69-xr7-428-scj-price/7214/1

Scott Behnke’s '69 SCJ / 4-speed. $50k.

https://www.facebook.com/timelessautosales/posts/1300646016657176

Marti Pic: https://www.facebook.com/timelessautosales/photos/a.613473988707719.1073741827.613109922077459/1300645516657226/?type=3

Looks like he wants $69K to me? Ouch.

LOL! It said $50k yesterday. Better buy it soon before it goes up again!