Will the real Blue paint please step forward !

I am debating with my self what color to repaint my 69 Convertible.
The ID tag has code = 6
This translates into Bright Blue Metalic.
Un fortunatly i now realise this car i just bought has been painted at least three times in its life.
So i cant be 100% sure what i have is ?
I found the ford number is ( susposed to be ?) 3077.
Howver my confusion blossoms as i now find the names it has been used for this code is extensive !

Acapulco blue
Acapulco blue met
Nordic Blue
Bright Blue
Medium Bright blue
Bright Silver blue
Medium blue met .?..???

I dont know how to post photos of what i have, so i would love to see other excamples of varified colored cars.
Do you have a blue 69 that you absolutly know what the color is, specificaly Bright Blue or Medium Bright Blue ?

:wall:

It was common for the same color to have different names on different product lines and or model years. It could also have the same color and a different color code on the data plate. Especially after the 1970 model year. You should be able to find a color chart for your model year to compare the color on your car now to see how close it is. Or, if your not highly concerned about correctness, find a color you really like.

6 - Bright Blue Metallic

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?wtcode=M3077

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?wtcode=M3077

Ford code M3077 M3077A - blue
This blue automotive paint color is most commonly known as Acapulco Blue. Other common color promotional names include Bright Blue, Nordic Blue, Medium Bright Blue, and Bright Silver Blue. The color formulation has been used between 1967 and 1972, primarily by Ford; but also by Mercury and Lincoln. We have records of this color appearing on the following models: Mustang, Mercury, Falcon, Comet, Pinto, Cougar, Lincoln, Thunderbird, Ford Truck, Fairlane, and Galaxie. See the full detailed list below.

Ford paint manufacturing codes come in two forms, the short 1 to 3 digit model/year code which changes frequently and the longer 4 digit code which starts with the letters “M”, “WT”, or “MX70x”. M are production paints, WT and MX are commercial or special order. These longer codes don’t change over the years for a particular paint formulation; therefore, it is the best code to track the usage of Ford paint. Ford production paint codes starting with M are usually followed by a 4 digit number and the letter “A” indicating its an exterior paint. The same code ending in the letter “G” is common for interior paints.

Paint Manufacturer Codes
PPG/Ditzler : 13357
Dupont : 5330A, 5330AM, 5330DH, 5330D, 98890, 4857L, 5330LH, 5330, 4857, 4857D, 4857A, 5330L
Acme/Rogers : 5450
Martin Senour : 1750
Sherwin Williams : 2580
Arco : L-5226G, AE-4117G, 6209G, 4117G, S-9396G
RM/BASF : E1935, A1935

Here’s my 70 W/ Bright blue Met

Such a great color! It looked especially good on the '72 Pinto wagon that’s on the paint reference page Mike B linked to. :open_mouth:

Funny you would mention that. I had one. The turbine wheels I put on it helped make it look even better. If it only would have had some real power…

Edit, after looking at it, that one is a 73 or newer. It had crash bumpers…

I will add mine!

Thanks guys, keep them comming…!

I think mine must be a faded Bright Blue Met ?

Those 5 mph bumpers sure ruined the looks of a lot of cars! Oh, the dark ages of the 70s.

I like the muders!:stuck_out_tongue:

There sure was a bumper crop of ugly front ends in the time.

Bright blue metallic code 3077, proven and documented:
https://www.classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=4302

Dan, thats the color i want for my 69.
What size wheels and tyres is that, any issues rubbing the front valance ?

Wheels = 15 x 6; tires = P215/70R15. No rubbing against fenders even at max turn.
Please note that color will look little lighter under full sun at noon.

are they only 15 x 6 ?
they look wider.
Im planning 15 x 8 but dont know what tyre width is going to work, 215/60 will work but ive seen 234/60 on other cars , yet others have said that will rub.
I still have lts of mechanical work do do yet tho .

On 2 of my 70 Cougars I have 235/60 15’s on the front on 15 X 7 rims. On the back one has 245/60 15’s on 15 X 8’s and the other has 245/60 15’s also on 15 X 8’s. I have no fitment problems.

https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=12100
69 hardtop repainted with original color code Bright Blue metallic, looks amazing in the sun

Well may be my wheels (rims) are 15x6½ or 7, not sure as I got them with car, was told they were 15x6 and never checked… but tires are definitively wider than 6" i.e. 215 mm = 8½" wide.
I think the high profile of the tires (70 instead of 60 as is very popular) creates the illusion of a bigger Wheel.

Your new paint looks great Allan. Are you planning to add the thin white stripes?

I’m not planning on adding stripes right away; waiting to see how the black vinyl top changes the look and the hood will have the 428CJ stripe kit. I may add pin striping for extra detail as I do not have the rocker panel moulding at this time.