Tell me why?

Why?

• 1. Self gratification
  • 2. Just like them
  • 3. Sentimental reasons
  • 4. DUH, IT’S THE TROPHIES!!!
  • 5. None of the above

0 voters

Why do you purchase/restore/drive/show your classic car(s)?

I fall in between 1 and 2…I never had a Cougar or an old car before this one, my parents/grandparents never had one, that I’m aware of, so, I just LIKE the Cougar…and, I wanted the satisfaction of saying to myself, “I did this…COOL!”…

Now you go…

I do it for the attention I get. Girls smile and wave, and I pretend they’re interested in ME. It’s also a great way to tell people about ME. Sure, they may ask “What kind of engine is in there?” But I know they’re REALLY asking… “What about this Scamp guy? What makes him tick? What kind of underwear is he sportin’?”

There should be a possibility of multiple choices…

3, AND 2 (in that order)and at my age… don’t need the attention. I drive it for me. and don’t even go to old car meets etc… I still love the ride, and dang thing even smells like my first cougar (except for the smoke residues :laughing:) (dang that console came handy)

actually its all of em except 4. Ive always wanted one and i take pride that its still running and often the only one at the event.
It draws plenty of looks mostly beacuse they havent see one in a while and you get to meet quite a lot of people ( some are cool , others are drips) and I absolutely love the sound and ride of it!

My sister tells me that I imprinted on the Cougar much the same way that baby ducklings imprint on the first thing they see after hatching. I am so glad it was not a trash truck…

Or a Brand X

LMAO…I think I believe her, Bill, what with your stable…

Well #3 fits the answer the closest for me. Since the Hero was originally grandpa’s, I have more sentimental attachment to it than I would anything else. That, and the fact that it was my first car adds to that. The fact that it happened to be a Cougar was purely coincidental and I can’t honestly say that Cougars are my favorite cars either. I can’t pick a single favorite. I ended up with whatever grandpa happened to give me.

The reason why I build cars is simple… I don’t hunt, golf or fish, and racing is too expensive!!!

I used to spend a lot of time getting upset over college football games and then finally figured out that It was just a monkey on my back. You have nothing to show for a round of golf. Fishing, I could do a lot more of, but I really don’t like eating fish all that much. I think the car hobby suits me pretty well.

I have always liked old cars. I had a Cougar in the 80’s that I regretted selling and I convinced my wife to let me buy the one I have now. She doesn’t like the Cougar, (she perfers 67-70 Mustang convertibles) but she has been receptive to the car as it makes me happy. I also bought the car so my kids and I can have something fun to work on. My goal is to have 3 cars to pass on to my kids with the choices being 3 of the following: 68 Cougar, 68 Mustang Convertible, 58 Impala convertible, 55 Chevy hard top or conv or a 65 Ponitac GTO/Lemans/Tempest convertible.

Great idea Paul. What’s the story on the '58 convertible? It seems a little out of place compared to the other cars. Special meaning?

I have that “goal” as well, Paul…but only have to deal with two rugrats. What will project number 2 be?? Who knows, but it will be fun, for dang sure!!!

I’m on the same path. But so far the two terrors are only somewhat interested in what I already have. Looks like I’ll have to keep expanding the fleet. LOL!

I voted for 2, it’s really 2 and 3.
Had a 71 Cougar back in the day, it was my first cool car.

I had a '65 Comet Caliente Hardtop that I really liked, but my brother and my Dad found it. I found my first Cougar and bought it really with out the approval of any one. (I first looked at it in the rain at night…)

Maybe we should do a new poll: My first Cougar was also my first cool car? I bet there would be a lot of Yes votes.

I have a Titleist Pro V in a cube and a newspaper clipping announcing my hole-in-one! :thumbup:

Mostly sentimental reasons.

There are better choices, if going fast is my objective.
There are better choices if I want to wisely invest money.

My 70 was my first car. I took it around the country on road trips. I did a lot of crazy stuff in it. I raced it. And now it’s just a sentimental pathology for me.

For me it’s (2), I just like them, plus I needed another hobby besides (1) self gratification.

I voted 3, but it’s really 1, 2, 3 and 5.

My Cat was my second car. After getting a fat check from All-State for the destruction of my first car, a beautiful 70 Cutlass Supreme, I knew it was going towards the Cougar I had admired for the last few months. I had never even seen one before, and the car wasn’t for sale at the time I bought it. It belonged to a good friends older sister, who owned it since the mid 70’s. I saw it shortly before the accident in the cutlass, and fell in love with it, even though I couldn’t see much of it from it being used as a catch all (boxes and junk all inside, on top, and around it).

The second thought after I saw thoses headlights heading right for me on that warm summer night was that cat was going to be mine. My first thought was obvioulsy “Holy SH!T, I’m going to die”. Luckily I was able to veer enough that only the back half of the car was destroyed. That night, I decided I was going to talk that chick out of that car.

So, I went from a Semi-cool car, with a really nice paint job, to a really cool car, that I have spent more money than I care to admit on, and 14 years later, still doesn’t have a paint job on it.