September 2012 Ride of the Month is: Bob E's "69 XR7 Vert

Hurricane Isaac is rapidly becoming a memory for most American’s but for many it was up close and personal. They lost property, belongings, and more than a few cars and trucks. If you live in a coastal region, everyone says never buy a car that has been under water, especially salt water. But for the right car…

On September 1st 2003 a high pressure wave moved from the west coast of Africa, over the Atlantic Ocean and began the long build into what would become the mostly costly and deadliest hurricane of the 2003 season. On September 6th it had intensified to earn the name Tropical Storm Isabel, and by the 11th it was a Category 5 Hurricane. It made land fall In North Carolina on the 18th. The storm was so massive that 215 miles away it produced storm surges of 10.6 feet in the Delaware River. Extensive coastal flooding resulted in over $59 million in damages. A tragedy for the region for sure, but for one Cougar owner it was much more personal. The salty water had claimed their 1969 XR7 Convertible.

But some cars really do have nine lives, and this cat was just getting started. By November of 2004 the car was in the hands of Bob E. and no car has ever had a luckier turn of events. Although the salty water had done its work and reduced the car to Swiss cheese in many places, Bob accepted the challenge of bringing it back to life. Many questioned his sanity as it certainly would not be easy, fast, or cheap. Bob committed to the job, in part, specifically because it would be such a big challenge. I recall someone comparing it to running a marathon: it isn’t the easiest way to travel, but it has it own rewards.

There is no need for me to try to tell this story as Bob has already done it the most thorough way imaginable: he documented every step along the way. Collectively we have all been able to look over his shoulder and watch the progress in Bob’s thread on Mercury Cougar.Net http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?21714-(Picture)-Diary-of-an-ECI-(East-Coast-Idiot)&highlight=1969XR7vert Without a doubt the longest, most viewed thread ever. At this writing it has had 157,880 views and 1,724 responses! Check it out, but be ready to spend some time.

Wow. I had forgotten how bad it started. Herculean effort, IMO, and well done. I am more of a “big picture” guy, Bob is obviously a details guy, and it shows. Proof positive that hard work and effort reaps the reward of a fantastic looking car. :thumbup:

Bob, I have finally gotten back on line, still running on a generator, I’m supposed to be doing my company payroll, and now this! Congratulations!
Isabel still makes that little spot in my stomach tickle, she’s perfect. Congratulations! Southern Louisiana is recovering again from high winds and rain. SalD

Congrats Bob :beerchug: Not only an incredible car but also an increadible journey :ylsuper:

Congratulations, Bob! Easily one of the nicest Cougars I have ever seen. Well deserved!

Bob again congratulations. The final outcome of your car is truly amazing. :beerchug: To you for saving your Cougar from the fate that it was to face if she had been in anyone elses hands.
Steven

Congrats Bob, she still looks fantastic!

Again Bob, congrats on an awsome transformation. :beerchug: John

What a transformation! Great job and an Awesome car. :beerchug:

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! THE TRANSFORMATION IS AMAZING. I KNOW FIRST HAND HOW HARD IT IS TO TURN A RUST BUCKET INTO SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF…I CAN’T SAY THAT MINE WILL EVER BE QUITE THIS NICE THOUGH. MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU! GREAT WORK!

Great work Bob, congrats, beautiful car.

Always nice to see a '69 up there!! Congratulations!!

Wow. Bill, as always your words are eloquent and poetic at the same time. Thanks for such a great writeup and thanks to everyone that voted for me. It is an honor. Easily up there with the best trophies I have won to date (up to 18 as of this writing, still great fun showing Isabel!).

Reading this thread I got a lump in my throat.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Bob

Congrats Bob. It must feel extra good after putting in all that hard work! She’s a beaut and a keeper!

From rust to riches. Congratulations.

From one 69’ vert owner to another, she looks great. Congrats.

Bob
Been away for a while, but she looks as great as always. A bueatuful car and most definitely worthy of the praise as is the owner for his efforts. Congrats!

PS the misspelled word intentional just for you LOL!!! :devil:

LMAO, you are aptly named, Chuckie.

Grats Bob - all your hard work paid off!

Thanks Steve, Jody, Doc, Chuck and Chris!