Scottsdale Auction Week 2020 - Fantasy Bid

$61000. Nicely done, but Cougars still don’t get the love they should from collectors.

That conversion is amazing. Wish it was my car! I’m going to say $87,000

I’ll guess the customization hurts it some & it may have been better off as close to original as possible (especially since a convertible wasn’t available that year)…

$28,500

I’ll bet the 69 Eliminator gets at least 2-3x that

Why oh why oh why didn’t they replace the upper radiator hose with an OEM or repro??! I’d bet the return on investment for that would be 1000%.

A correctly done conversion will easily double the price if previous sales are any indication.

I have lusted over this car. I think he did it exactly the way that I would have wanted it. It was an ROTM in 2016 and I didn’t get much from the owner back then so the write up is not very informative, and many pics are missing now.

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/the-march-2016-ride-of-the-month-is-malcolm-mcmillans-67-vert-custom/5888/1

Maybe I can find those images and fix the write up…

Now thats not right. I just thought this was some random car. Now it comes out that it was ROTM. Give a newbie a chance.

Thanks for the opportunity—I’ll make a guess of $38,500.

I’m going to go with $61,250

$89,000 Probably too high only because I think the owner will do a poor job of telling people what he did to the car. There are so many cars that you have to make your car stand out. For the uninitiated, they may not even realize that Cougar convertibles weren’t a thing until 1969. They may not know that the XR-7 GT was more rare then the Shelby Mustang. They sure wouldn’t know what was parked under the hood. I look at this and think about just what all I would need to sell to justify the purchase…

If he is in a lawn chair next to the car ready to greet potential buyers the days leading up to the sale he will do just fine… He is a personable, knowledgeable, talented builder who has a passion for what he created. Sometimes the folks with the best people skills are the ones who spend the least amount of time online.

Question on rules; Are we guessing what the auctioneer gets up to for the car? What if it does not sell? Reserve Price?

Do you think he will do that though? I think he is a great guy, but not many are willing to invest the time and effort and suffer the tire kickers… “I had one just like it” Barrett Jackson is not a guarantee of top dollar… it is an opportunity to get top dollar. You have to do the work. Calling Brian Aust, calling Brian Aust… he should teach the class on how this is done.

This is how it is done folks…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x3kMTLeukg

I’m pretty sure it’s the hammer. And there are generally no reserves at BJ.

Correct. The auction is ‘no reserve’ - although (I think) the seller can bid if he pays both sides of the commission. He might have to if the skinflints bidding here are right and it doesn’t end up in Bill or Don’s garage. Place your bid based on the hammer price (before commissions, taxes, transportation, insurance, registration & drink tickets).

Trust me… It is not going for a mere $40k as long as I have a mouse in my hand!

There’s a joke in there somewhere I just haven’t come up with it yet. :laughing:

I’ve seen the car multiple times and it’s gorgeous. I think the car is worth every bit of $60K but I put in my bid based on what I think others will pay for it. Malcolm is a super nice and humble guy. If a potential buyer talks with him, they will realize that he’s 100% honest to a fault and he’s got nothing to hide with this car. I hope I’ve way underestimated the market but it’s a tough one to call for these “what if” cars.