RIP Barry Margolis

Barry Margolis passed away 11/28/2017

From Sunshine State Cougar Club

“It is with great sadness that I let you all know that Barry Margolis passed away yesterday afternoon, November 28. He had been suffering from lung cancer that he’d battled in the past several years that returned, metasticized to his brain and lungs.
Barry was one of the founding members of the Sunshine State Cougar Club and a promoter of the Mercury Cougar brand. He will be greatly missed by those who knew him. Barry was 72.”

Posted on Facebook by Ray Opthof

“I want to share this to my page because this is one of the finest car club buddies that you could ever hope to know in your lifetime. I honor you, my beloved friend. You made my car club hobby a blast with your wit and dedication to our Mercury Cougar’s. Your help to the Sunshine State Cougar Club was invaluable. Few could ever come close to the efforts you made to make our car club fun and visible. We truly will miss you and will never forget”

I will miss the adventures of the Florida Old Guys, with Barry, Sonny, Cecil and Packhard Bill travelling across the US. A long term internet friend and fellow 77 wagon owner with many fun times spent via the agitation of electrons

Rest in peace my friend

Image courtesy of Sunshine State Cougar Club

RIP Barry. I remember reading the exploits of the “Old Guys” on their road trips. They certainly knew how to have fun in old cars.

Heather and I experienced Barry and “The Old Guys” a couple of times at CCOA events over the years. They would drive their cars long distances to the events from Florida, arriving a few days ahead of schedule to “acclimate” themselves to the local area. Barry was a very warm and friendly person and made everyone feel welcome and encouraged participation as “The Old Guys” planned various little exploits. Everyone always had fun when Barry was around.
Drive home safe Barry.

I met Barry when we started the SSCC and regret that my move out of Florida soon thereafter did not afford me the opportunity to spend as much time with him as many others did. Like it was mentioned above, Barry was always welcoming and encouraging people to get out and enjoy that CAT !! RIP - we have lost another long time advocate for our passions !!

Hung out with Barry at a few events. Always fun to be around especially when we would give Mark Piechowski a hard time. He drove the wheels off that Cougar on many adventures. Thoughts go out to his family.

Ohh, crap. Barry was one of the good guys, that’s for sure. I sure hope the good Lord likes (in the words of Leon) some good ole BFG aromatherapy.

RIP Barry. Isabel has one door shell that came from Barry.

This was the SSCC table at the 2001 Cougar Nationals in Williamsburg, VA. Barry and Carol cruising in the 70 convert as viewed from my 70 XR-7.

Glad to have known Barry. Will definitely miss seeing him at Cougar show and hearing about his adventures. RIP.