Repainting Grill

I am going to be cleaning and repainting the black painted areas on my 1969 Grill. I have a few questions.

Can / should you apply a primer over the chromed pot metal? What type/brand primer?

Any recommendations on cleaning and polishing the Chrome that is not getting painted?

The decal around the walking cat on the light cover looks reddish. What color is it supposed to be?

Thank you for the input.

No primer, just use SEM trim black. Decal should be black same as the grill. To polish the chrome use 4 OOOO steal wool you can wax it after paint.

The SEM Trim Black is self-etching (which is why it is all you need to use).

SEM Trim Black is a great product as stated above. I’ve used it and I’m pleased with the results.
Steven

By far one of the most tedious tasks working on my car was taping off the grill so I wouldn’t paint the argent or chrome. Took me forever.

Can someone post a restored pic?? I need a close up pic so I know where the argent silver goes. Trying to get as correct as possible.

Charlie

Would applying clear coat over the SEM be a good idea? I have some Advantage Urethane Clear.

I wouldn’t apply clear, there is really no reason.
Steven

Here is a great topic when we discussed this a while back. It also contains a link to Gry’s XR7G grille restoration. 67-68 Grille Painting Options - Classic Cougar Paint and Body - Classic Cougar Community Forum
Steven