Red GTE for Sale

Just saw this on eBay, Red GTE with a white top. Looks nice, seems to be missing some items it’s headrests for one. According to the Marti report it was a headrest car. The listing says it’s a numbers matching car. Wouldn’t the radiator fall into numbers matching? Just curious.
Steven

A matching set of tires would be nice too, for that kind of coin, it’s a no-brainer.

Looks like that rebody the was for sale out of San Diego Ca. a while back.

Don that’s what I was thinking but I just wasn’t sure. I was talking about this car with my brother and I remember the video of the car from that sale was “rockin” some music. Then I looked at the pictures and I saw the 8 track, Ted Nugent.

Steven

Any body else notice the location of the alternator? And the dual belts? This is not like any GT-E I am familiar with. I have heard rumors of there being '68 390 cars that did not get smog pumps, or air injection lines, drilled exhaust manifolds, etc… that had the high mounted alternator, but I have never seen one.

I sent a email and a message through eBay asking for photos of the window vin, door tag with vin and the title showing the same vin as listed on the Marti report. I also asked if the had photos of the numbers on the engine block. I’ll post any reply I get.
Steven

Because it is an export to Canada, eh? :angel:

This is definitely a rebodied GT-E; it’s been in the Registry and Master Record since I first saw in 1996. I phoned the consignment shop today and told them it was a rebodied car; they are contemplating their navel(s) concerning what to do about that fact.

Jim when this car was rebodied did it keep the original drive train? Bill brought some interesting points about the engine.
Steven

The engine, transmission and body were all changed out when the restoration was done according to docs when it was for sale in 2005 or so. Here’s a pic of some of the docs and the engine from back then also.

Wow, just wow!

I’m with you on that statement, Wow.

I guess the engine must be strong…they must have “burned” the tires down feeling the power.

Thanks for posting your information on this car.

Steven

If the price was right it would be fun to slap a 5spd behind that sucker and drive it!

So if the engine, transmission and body are all different, what makes it a GT-E besides the VIN number?

As you have all noticed, the listing from the consignment shop is totally inaccurate, all of which was discussed with them by phone yesterday. It will be interesting to see what they do, if anything about it. Let’s assume for the sake of argument only that the owner did not divulge the truth to the consignment shop, so that honestly they did not know in advance of their listing. Okay, so now what? They are caught to some degree between the proverbial rock and hard place, since the only remedies appear to be: (a) pull the listing; (b) modify the listing by telling the truth; (c) do nothing and rely on deniability. If they were to do (b) they might be in trouble legally in California (I don’t know) since it might be illegal to knowingly advertise a “rebodied” car there. Also, the owner of the car might be in trouble for knowlingly “owning” such a vehicle and not disclosing it to the state when registering it. My “guess is” that they will do nothing on the listing itself, however they might divulge information to a winning bidder prior to completing any potential sale. What do you guys think?

Interesting dilemma. No offense to you Jim, but I wonder how much credibility they place in your phone call. Unless you are actually known to them, I could see where there might be a question concerning some guy calling them and telling them the listing is fraudulent. On the other hand I think they have an obligation to at least investigate further. My guess is they will do nothing and hope the issue doesn’t come up. It only becomes a real problem for them if it’s discovered that they were informed beforehand.

You know, WE, the Cougar People, could flood their in-box, voicing the same…I would think that would cure their doubts to Jim’s “cred”. I cancelled my ebay account, else I would post it as a “question” on there.

Al, doesn’t the paperwork from 2005 say that all of the drivetrain and suspension was transferred to the rebody, so the car’s “soul” along with the VIN, are there, or am I reading it wrong?

What’s crazy about a strangers credibility is that is all it took to get Tiger a 2 stroke penalty in the Masters this past weekend. Someone called inthe violation and they then reviewed it from that call. THAT is crazy, but correct.
Not sure about this one.

The paperwork says that when the car was restored it was done with a replacement body, engine and transmission.