rear stabilizer bar install

hi i’m trying to mount a rear stabilizer bar in my 69 XR7 . the 70 cougars had one . i have the leaf spring plates , links , and a heavy duty hellwig sway bar . would some one be able to help with stock location for mounting to the body , or have some pictures of what it looks like in stock location , so i can fabricate something to make it work ?

Does it have links on the ends or bushings that bolt to the frame structure?

it has the links on the ends . i don’t have the location for the bushings on the body . 69 didn’t come with rear stabilizer .

it has the links on the ends . i don’t have the location for the bushings on the body . 69 didn’t come with rear stabilizer .

Here’s a link that might help. I tried several aftermarket rear sway bars on my 70 with problems with all. I eventually had the dual tail pipes rerouted to clear the ADDCO 995 bar. I was able to install it with longer links. The 70 has holes in the subframe that work but don’t clear the factory dual exhausts. The 69 does not have the predrilled holes. You might be able to move the mount to the subframe and clear the tailpipes. The link will provide a lot of background,
https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/anyone-running-the-addco-995-rear-sway-bar-i-need-the-length-of-the-end-links/12255/1

thanks . you i’ll let you how i do

The factory rear sway for the 70 should work but those parts are really hard come by. It appears to be a much lighter bar but should give some improvement.
Here is a link with more information on the factory bar
https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/1970-cougar-sway-bar/7953/7

my links are 8 inches long . this a hellmig bar not an addco 995 bar . at least your diagrams and pics show me basically where it goes . i put it in place under and held it there with wood blocking . the ends don’t wind up centered on the leaf spring . they are positioned over the outboard side and forward of the axle . i think i have the wrong parts . still checking it out .

i missed the second attachment you sent . now it makes sense . a picture worth a thousand words . could i ask you what book you got these drawings from , and where i can get one ? my problem is , got the car 40 years ago . mechanically it was in sad shape , and an automatic . all the trim was dinged and bent it’s been sitting in my garage ever since . 20-25 years ago i got the idea to redo it . i took every nut , bolt , screw out of it stripped it down to bear metal and primed it . sat like that for about20 plus year again . only started to seriously work on it 3 years ago the trim is all straightened and polished , motor and automatic are garbage , chrome grill had breaks in it repaired and redone . all uninstalled yet . pained it candy apple red .
mounted a 351 cleveland and a 6 speed with hydraulic clutch in the body . working on pedal assembly . front suspension , upper a lowered a couple inches with negative wedge for better handling . rear and leafs in place . putting vinyl top on this week . hoping it goes rite . i’m 73 and trying to remember where every thing goes when i took it apart , is a real mind boggler . not really good with computers , so getting information is a chore for me . thats the reason for asking the book you got the attachment for rear sway bar assembly
thank you for your time and patience it’s greatly appreciated .

The two pages of “1970 Specification Manual MUSTANG-COUGAR” are available in the “1970 Cougar Chassis Assembly Manual”. This is one several Mustang or Cougar assembly manuals published by Jim Osborn Reproductions. They can be very useful.

thank you very much for this information , ill look into purchasing that manual .

The two pages of “1970 Specification Manual MUSTANG-COUGAR” are available in the “1970 Cougar Chassis Assembly Manual”. This is one several Mustang or Cougar assembly manuals published by Jim Osborn Reproductions. They can be very useful.

Since you have broader needs than just the chassis here are some other useful information sources. I image you have some of these already.
The Ford 1970 Car Shop Manual set is available both in print and digital formats.
There are several sources for electrical diagrams
A useful digital source is the 1965-72 Lincoln/Mercury Car Master Parts and Accessory Catalog. This is a parts listing and has numerous diagrams. There are also more general FORD (not Mercury) ones that do show some Mercury parts and a Mustang subset of that document. These are digital. These are all very long documents.
The assembly manual series included Cougar Chassis Manual and a Weld and Sealant (body) manual. The Mustang series has some Cougar overlap and includes and electrical manual and an interior manual.
These documents show fasteners (especially the specialty items) at times by the Ford part number. AMK Products has a “Guide to Ford Fasteners” that details all of these and a source for any unusual ones.

Wow, 73 huh? Good for you still plugging away at your car. I’m 62 and finding it difficult sometimes to stay focused on getting my cat back on the road.
I guess there is hope for us old folks yet!!

There are more of us 73 year-olds working on Cougars. It’s a great retirement project both working on the car and the people on-line and in local groups are great to work with. New people and cars to meet at car events. New things to learn and share. I’ve been busy on my current Cougar, for five years, sometime sporadically, with gaps between projects but eventually something new and interesting to repair, upgrade, or just add.

sometimes i think i bit off more than i can chew . at the same time , i’m trying to convert a pinto wagon to a TDI diesel with 5 speed manual trans . plus other projects .