Random Stalling/Shutoff

I’m at my wit’s end.

The Cougar (351W) Randomly shuts off while driving. No rhyme or reason, Cold , Hot, 1/2 mile out, 20 miles out. sometimes a couple times in a row.

slip it into neutral(FMX), twist the key, starts right back up.

I’ve chased vapor lock, flooding, carb float levels, replaced the coil. The only thing I can remotely find common is it seems to happen more at lower RPM as opposed to cruising speed, but It will cut off running 70MPH down the Highway. I don’t have a clue

I’m hoping someone has seen this before, I’m running out of idea’s

Thanks,

Have you tried letting idle and just rocking the car around? I’ve got an AMC Javelin that if it happens to be tilted the wrong way or shakes in certain ways from the road that it likes to die or it won’t crank. Could just be a bad connection or ground that’s loose, since the problem seems so inconsistent.

Is it an XR7 or a standard?

Standard

Can you list the modifications you have made?

Could be the ignition switch. It has never happened to me but heard stories about Ford ignition switch causing this problem.

I second this. Specifically the plastic connector at the back of the ignition switch. A known failure point that was the cause of similar issues on my '69 428 car.

The engine was re-built in 1999 by the P.O. the only obvious changes are a edelbrock performer manifold and a edelbrock 1405 carb. The fuel tank has been replaced at some point (relatively recently)and the fuel pump has been replaced (still shiny, probably same time as the tank)

Also. The ignition has been replaced because I have 2 square keys, one for the locks and one for the ignition.

Thanks for the responses so far

It’s probably a loose connection somewhere in the ignition system. Likely someone modified or repaired something long ago that now has a borderline open connection. I would visually inspect every bit of the ignition circuit. Any connection that shows any repairs would be replaced with a soldered aircraft connector.

For those of you who said ignition switch.

And everybody else also, now to see how much the parts bandits want :laughing:

Thanks guys

Ok,
$22.04 with Tax at the local NAPA.

Replaced in about 10 Min, after a little Youtube school on replacing the Lock Cylinder.

I gave her a good 50+ mile test drive on the bumpy back roads and 2 railroad crossings, not a sputter.

I am so relieved, I feared being left on the side of the road just going to the gas station, much less anywhere else.

Another THANK YOU!! to the Forum.

1 Like

It’s a great feeling, yessireebob!