Project Phoenix - 1971 XR-7 Convertible

Since the car is apart, decided to clean and detail the undercarriage over the winter

Axle, springs, shocks, exhaust, gas tank, fuel/vent lines are out of the car, making access easy.

Does anyone know what color a San Jose built '71 should be underneath? Hard to say with the dirt, factory undercoat, soot, and fire extinguisher residue…

My Dearborn built '69 R-Code Cougar and '71 Atlanta built Ranchero are both red oxide.

Is San Jose different? Gray, black, other?

Tom,

Isn’t your 1971 a Dearborn car?
Looking great so far, can’t wait to see it.

Dave,

Nope, it’s San Jose built. Lived in So Cal until I bought it in 2014

Drop by sometime!

I’m an idiot. It’s Dearborn built.

Sometimes I get confused… :laughing:

My may 71 Dearborn cougar is red oxide. I used 2 parts ppg DP red epoxy primer mixed with 1 part black for a good match. Picture is original primer.
Jim

As far as floor pan/undercarriage color from the firewall rearward when was your car built. What product was used is typically tied to when the car was sprayed so seeking out other examples from the same plant and production period would be the place to go if there is no original color left on your car due to cleaning or blasting. Often under things like muffler brackets/hangers provides the best protected original finishes so check your car the effort will be worth it if your looking fro what was original.

Don’t recall what color mine is but it is a mid December finished example if yours is close . Also have examples from the production year that include light gray, greens, blues, a purple so batch colors as used in prior years (since 65 at least) and some red oxide examples also then the batch system had issues

My thread on details I found if they will help in some of the other areas you may be addressing during your build

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/71-cj-xr7-rebuild-warning-lots-of-pics/453/1

This is my 71 XR-7s underside after I removed the tar sealer/sound deadener. Note it is slop gray.

This one was built on July 28 1971 per the Marti report.

Glad to see the progress Tom

Also a good reminder to those who haven’t replaced that small rubber hose under the master cylinder , I was lucky as I had to park mine outside overnite when mine ruptured after a cruise. Didn’t see the leak till the next am. :smoke:

A costly mistake indeed! Glad you caught the problem before it became a crisis.

Very clean under there…

On a happy note, the undercarriage of our car is also solid as a rock, aside from the trunk pan. The frame rails were SPOTLESS…

It will be interesting to see what the cleaning reveals!

Fantastic build thread! Thanks for the link.

I found many of the original chassis paint dabs when I rebuilt the suspension and motor. These will be re-created during the restoration.

Your car was a fantastic reference vehicle - had no idea about all those interesting paint details…

Body color!

Since the car is getting a color change, I guess this means the bottom must get fogged too.

It’s clean under there! No rust. None. Let’s all kneel and give thanks for the California climate!

The undercoat comes off super easy. A dull putty knife is taking most of it off, and where it’s stubborn - a gentle pass with my torch to soften it.

The fire extinguisher is readily at hand, but not too worried about fire. There’s nothing flammable left on the car.

Thanks for the tips folks, appreciate the help and your enthusiasm too.

Tom

It happens to the best of us, Its an experience you will never forget and will become a better wrench because of it too. Sometimes we just need a reminder to cover our butts.

I was guessing it had something to do with a fuel line leak, It seems that little hose gets missed more then you think. Even without EFI those hoses do not like the current fuel blends and break down pretty quick. Its one of the things I check frequently and mine are due to be replaced again soon but plan to go EFI before that. I have all new hardline and EFI rated rubber hose and connections to install.

I really do want to find a compact fire extinguisher that I can carry in the car just in case. I have been carrying a dry chemical one but hate it as I know how much worse they make everything after a fire. I need to invest in a halon or similar.

Great thread! I need to check my fuel lines, does anyone have a photo of which hose I should be checking? Sorry, I’m not very savvy with engines but I’m trying to learn. Also, any recommendations what fire extinguisher we should carry in our vehicles? Thank you.

Just start at the tank sender unit, follow it forward and replace all the little sections. I think you will find 4 or 5 sections from the tank to the carb.

Rubber section 1 runs from the fuel tank sender (driver’s side bottom of the tank) to the steel fuel line bolted to the frame rail

Rubber section 2 is located directly under the driver’s side hood hinge and runs from the fender apron to the rear of the shock tower

Rubber section 3 comes out of the driver’s fender apron near the bottom front and runs to the fuel pump inlet

Check them all. If you aren’t a practiced mechanic, do NOT cut or remove section 1 without the tank being empty. A LOT of fuel will gush out otherwise.

Section 2 is often old and overlooked, and usually in bad shape from heat. This one can be replaced without a lot of fuel spillage.

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances use a hose designed for vacuum. Use a FUEL rated hose and always use new hose clamps.

Folks,

Do the 28 and 31 spline axles use the same differential housing? I have a 31 spline nodular center section that I’d like to install in the Cougar with a new set of axles.

Current differential is a 28 spline.

Will my housing work with the 31 spline axles and related wheel bearings?

Here is an illustrated post I did a while back for another request. Different year but basically the same general layout

Good post, but not entirely applicable to the 71-73, which uses a different configuration

Thanks to everyone who replied. I never even thought about checking my fuel Iines now have an idea where to look. I purchased the 73 shop manuals when I bought the car and will go through them also.