Power Window Not Working

All power windows worked before I took in for paintwork. Can’t get right rear quarter window to work. At first the passenger door window wouldn’t work but the door panel was off so was able to move around the connector and get it to work with both the master switch and the switch on that door. No luck with right rear quarter window. Left windows power up and down quickly. Right passenger window goes down fine but struggles going up and the right rear quarter window won’t work at all. Where do I start?

Unplug the right rear motor harness as close to the motor as possible. Apply battery power to one side (ground the other) and reverse it. If the window goes up and down, the motor is good, and the wiring prior to this point is bad or disconnected somehow. Trace it back and try again, although you’ll have 3 wires (power, up, and down).

At least for the 1973 XR-7 the wiring to the right rear power window are red with black hash, yellow with black hash and Red with light blue stripe from the master switch to the window switch and Red with yellow stripe and Yellow with red stripe from switch to motor.

Here is a guide to diagnosing power window issues and some simplified wiring diagrams showing how they work
https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/power-window-issues-schematics-and-troubleshooting-1970-and-similar/7972/1

What’s the best way to access the rear motor and switch? Assume I need to remove the interior panel or is there a way to get to the motor without removal? How does this one come off? Screws, clips, ? Also right front window goes down fast but raises slowly.

Check out the WCCC video included on the page below.
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/pancake.html?attribs=79
The focus sounds like it is on rebuilding the pancake motors but it also includes information on removing them and if you’re removing it sounds like you may need to replace/rebuild one.
The Ford Shop Manuals cover removing the regulator and the glass but not the motor (not for 1970 at least).
Good luck

Thanks for the link. Parts of it are relevant but it’s ultimately for a convertible. Mine is a coupe and I think it may be different but not sure how.

Is there a shop and/or assembly manual in pdf form available online?

https://www.forelpublishing.com/estore2/scripts/index.html#1970

Power window wiring is the same for both. And the front and rear window motors and regulators are also the same.

Got it working. Both right windows are slow going up though but fast going down. The posts on the rear switch are much shorter than those on the other switches which is why it probably disconnected itself. Hard to keep the switch connected while reinstalling the panel, but it works for now though. Any ideas why they are fast down but slow up?

Gravity? :think:

Maybe but the left ones defy gravity. Why?

Have you tried to clean up the pivot points and the tracks? Sometimes the working parts of a window regulator get gummed up with old dried out grease.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95