Pin stripes

Hi there! My name is Jim and I’m new to the site. I picked up a '67 base model with a 289 and 3 speed stick earlier this year.
I had it painted right after I bought it and it use to have pin stripes but I’ve heard that they didn’t come with them.
Does anyone know if the base model '67’s came with pin stripes and if so, what was the correct style?

Thanks!
IMG-20120825-00114 (640x480).jpg

Yes 1967’s came with pinstripes. There is a difference on the fender and body extensions as to the gaps in these locations. 1968 models had a larger gap in between each section but the stripe width and spacings were the same between the two years. The pinstripes were painted on by hand in the factory using templates if I remember correctly. Below are links to MC.net where this topic was discussed. Bill’s BBcat is a 1967 and he covered it with some pictures in his restoration post.
I almost forgot to say welcome to the Classic Cougar Community Jim. Thats a good looking Cougar you’ve got there.
Steven

Bill’s BBCat restoration thread
https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/bbcat-following-a-tough-act/1093/6

Pinstripes topic at MC.net
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?54798-Pin-stripes-on-a-68XR7&highlight=pinstripe
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?52361-Original-Pin-Stripe-Specifications-Lets-brainstorm&highlight=1967+pinstripe

Hey, thanks a lot for the info. That helps a lot and thanks for the compliment. You’ve got a pretty nice ride yourself.

I’m glad that helped and thanks for the kind words on my car.
Steven

So does anyone know which of the double wheel heads are correct for the Beugler pinstriper ?

I was looking to pick one up,and believe they originally used the double wheel in 1967-1968.
What does everyone think? Anyone else tried to replicate the factory style striping?

This outfit has a good product and Cougar stripe dimensions in their data base.

https://www.finessepinstriping.com/

That’s probably fine for some, going a restomod route.
For others wanting to duplicate the original factory striping, technique and application is critical.
I’ve got pictures of an original 1968 Dearborn MI car built in early March if anyone needs the details

Looks like the “One shot” Polar white is the first one to try
Once I get the Beugler , I’ll advise on what I find on wheel size needed.

wanting to duplicate the original factory striping, technique and application is critical.

Actually, using the stencil is the correct way and how it was done at the factory.

You are mistaken. The stripes weren’t hand brushed on.
You are correct for most generic striping done.

I was a PDI mechanic in the late 70’s , and saw hundreds of cars go through the system, adding accessories or mods , was the only real option a dealer had to make $ on a sale

I’m wanting physical evidence of how Dearborn applied striping in 1968.

I respect your opinion, but totally disagree

Kind of misleading information on the CCOA site stating they “probably” used a Beulger percision pin striper.
http://www.cougarclub.org/pdf/1967_68%20Pinstripe%20specs.pdf

Quote from Royce:

At the factory they laid a piece of tape across every panel gap, then laid a template on the length of the car. The stripes were applied using a brush over the template. Then the template was peeled off.

This results in the stripes having a brushed on appearance with obvious masking marks at the panel gaps, ends of the fender extensions, and door jams.

Using the stencil/template is going to get you the closest match to the factory.
2010_0628pinstripeXR7G0012.JPG

Which stencil tape did you use Brian? I remember looking at Finesse and not quite finding one in the [supposed] right size. I think I’m going to try to DIY mine when the time comes.

I also looked at the Beulger site and didn’t see a double wheel head in quite the right size. Seems like a nifty tool though.

I found the same thing Andy when I looked at their site. I think the closest I found was 3/32" with a 3/16"gap and 3/32" . I think from the link you sent me as well as other places I read we should be looking at more like 5/64 stripes with a 9/64" gap.
Boss, those are great reference pics. How is the finished look? Looks like the photo is dated 2010
David

That what it’s supposed to be, actually. The closest I found on Finesse’s site is 1/8" - 3/16" gap - 1/8" (their part number F12).
They also have 3/32" - 1/8" gap - 3/32" which would be close too. That’s F17.
So basically you either have to have the stripes a little too thick, or the gap a little too narrow.

Hay Andrew, maybe having Don call them up and make a small bulk order of the correct size would get them to make them up for us Cougar freaks. Just a thought…

Great minds think alike, we were just talking about doing that! Would be a cool thing to offer, maybe I’ll even do a video on it when the times comes.

Yep your right on the 1/8in gap. F17 Don’t know why I wrote 3/16 gap :slight_smile:
I thought I read somewhere in the other thread on this that they were going to make up the right size for a couple of guys that called in?

I did the 3/32 x 3/16 x 3/32 and yes they’re a touch to wide. Going skinnier on the stripe would be an improvement.

Now wait a minute. I just took some pics and measurements of an original-paint '68 we have here, and found that the stripes are 1/16" with a 5/32" gap in between. At the seams, the masking tape width was 5/8". Spacing from body line was about 7/16" on one side, and 9/16" on the other, so I’d say 1/2" is well within spec.

Here’s a really washed-out picture that shows it clear as day. The hash marks on the right side of the ruler are 32nds.

The good news is, Finesse does have this size listed as part # F42 (link)

Let me see if I can find another car (or cars) in the WCCC yard to confirm this. If these numbers hold up, I’ll put together an infographic or series of pics since this question comes up a lot.

EDIT / UPDATE: I found a few cars with what appeared to be original paint and pinstripes. I think they were all 67’s. While there were some inconsistencies from car to car, I feel pretty confident now saying that 1/16" stripes with a 5/32" gap are the way to go for a correct look on 1967 and 1968 Cougars.

Inconsistencies observed:

• Some of the stripes were a little thinner than 1/16", closer to 3/64". But it appeared that the paint was thinner on those ones. I’d stick with 1/16".
  • One of the 67’s had a gap of 3/16" between the stripes, all the way around. Also saw 11/64". But most were close enough to 5/32" that it seemed like the norm.
  • The gap from the top stripe to the body line is all over the map. Based on what I saw, I’d still say 1/2" is a good rule of thumb.

Also, I saw evidence to suggest that they were in fact done with a roller (Buegler) type tool. Will post more pics soon.

Andy,
Thanks for that leg work. You sure got the car base to do the research :slight_smile: Look forward to the other pics you put up showing evidence of using a roller. It would be a cool video to see (if there were one) of just how they did this, and how fast of pace they would have done it at in order to keep up with production. What’s the guess? Maybe 10min a car, or less?
If you want to do a traveling road show video (like Ask this Old House) your welcome to come to WI and do my car!:slight_smile:
David