Paint color

I think getting the Factory invoice for this one may shed at least some light on to what it was used for.

When my husband got the car they rebuilt the 351 Cleveland, some brake work, and they had it painted comp yellow. It was blue when he purchased it in 1990 for…$2000!! The original color was yellow paint. Ford 3120 A.

I DID order the original factory invoice a few days ago :wink: …waiting patiently…
The Marti Report says standard bucket seats.
I’m actually trying to find the guy Ed bought it from. He still lives near me. Fingers crossed je’ll tell me more.

If the car was sent to engineering to be used as a test mule for fitting the upcoming Eliminator parts that could explain a lot of things. If that is the case it could explain the blue right side mirror, they might have used this car to test fit a mirror. It would be helpful to know what part number is cast into the base of that mirror. It could also explain the switch from the normal 69 style seats to the 69 Eliminator style seats, along with other Eliminator pieces. It would be helpful here to know more about the rear spoiler. If possible could you take a measurement of the distance between the spoiler stands? Perhaps also a photo of the rear spoiler mounting from the underside of the decklid.

You say in post #22 that your husband rebuilt the 351 Cleveland. Is that engine what is currently in the car? Since the 351C did not come out until 1970 it could again be a test mule for fitting the 351C to the Mustang/Cougar platform. This does not make a lot of sense though as I would think that Ford would have used a 351W car to test fit the 351C as that would be mostly a direct bolt in.

It will be interesting to see what the invoice has to say. I hope that you can get with the previous owner to see if he can shed any more light on this subject.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

That measurement would make it a 1969 rear spoiler. The part number on the mirror is for a 1969 Torino. Many people have said that the 1969 Torino mirror will work on the 1969-1970 Cougar. The 1970-1971 Torino mirror just fits a little better. It would be possible that Ford was test fitting the 1969 Torino mirror for use on a 1969-1970 Cougar.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Thanks Randy! I’ll let you know what the invoice says.

This Cougar was built and delivered to the Research & Engineering Dept!

I just received the invoice.
Sold to and shipped to Ford Motor Co.
…to an employee?
But, again, with the test car thing.
Unless you can read something more into it.
Thanks, Michelle

I’m guessing C. Jones would have been the member of the Engineering Staff that ordered the car for the group?

1. What are the odds of a test vehicle getting out unscathed?
  2. Could this be the original test car for the Eliminator?
  3. I just purchased a CJ428 Ram air (!!!)
    4… I have serious butterflies
  4. Any idea how many test cars are out there? My research shows 1 gold XR7 that was an actual TEST CAR
    Thanks, Michelle
  1. Depends on the nature of the testing.
  2. Maybe?
  3. Very cool!
  4. Relax, it’ll all be ok :slight_smile:
  5. That would be a good question for Phil Parcells to check the CCOA Cougar Database.

lets just presume for a moment, it is the test car used to mock up parts and assembly of the Eliminators.

define unscathed, it did get modified with non original invoice parts. So it did not come out unscathed. But the changes was for the better :smiley:

the question I would be asking, who sold it and who bought it. was it sold as an Eliminator?

could there been a second invoice when it was sent where ever to be sold or was it sold from research and development department?

maybe ask marti auto works if they have more info or paper work.

have you looked for a brass tag? I seen other test cars with them. but this may have been removed so you might want to look for a discolored area of an oval. iirc other tag was on Door Sill Scuff Plate.

good luck with your investigation.

Would you, please ask Mr. Parcells to contact me. 309-475-2230. barefoot_gardeners@yahoo.com
I bought a CJ 428 ram air. I’m going to have the 351 Cleveland replaced. I’ll sell the Cleveland when my guy tunes it. Anybody looking for a kick ass 351 Cleveland? …Rubber on the back quart panels kick ass in all 4 gears :wink:
I need a bit of body work done. Anyone you could recommend in the central Illinois would be appreciated. I’ve never minded a road trip. Anybody within 500-1000 miles of me, and I’d happily take a drive. I would appreciate a guy of Ford quality expertise.

At the very least it is 1 of 205 Cougars with this engine and transmission. :wink: Whick I have to make it original.
Plus, it was a test car, and there wern’t many of those!!

I haven’t found a brass tag. Where would Ilook?
I just called Kevin for a more detailed Marti Report.
When my husband bought it in 1990 it had Eliminator stickers on it.
Unscathed = rust only on the floor board under the driver’s seat ( back corner, towards the door seat). 2 scratches on the paint.
We’ve had it in a WELL insulated garage for 29 years. The body is BEAUTIFUL. Still as sexy as ever. Currently has a 351 Cleveland in it. Soon to have a CJ 428 in it (hanging in my garage now :wink: . I am going to keep it as close to original as possible…short of upping under the hood.
Shit. I even have the original rims in my tool shed.

I would do an internet search to see where they have been placed on other “test” cars.

a couple other things you might do yourself

1. see if build sheet is still in car. under carpet, under back seat, under front seat in springs, I have also heard they have been found in doors or rolled up inside dash. if you find it post image
  2. post a picture of the buck tag. it is located on the front of radiator support left side top? it is a small rectangle piece of stamped metal.

The thing here is that we do not know exactly what “test car” means. Maybe the car was used to test fit the Eliminator parts, maybe it was used to determine the fuel mileage, maybe something in between. With any luck Kevin Marti will be able to shed more light on this. If not then you would need to see if C Jones is still with us and able to help. If Kevin does not come up with anything and C Jones is gone or of no help then we may never really know the story.

We do know that this is not the car most commonly called the Eliminator prototype. That car was orange. It had a one off rear spoiler that did not make production and it had a one off rear end with a 2 speed axle. That car was featured on the cover of (I believe) Hot Rod magazine back in the day.

Congrats on your 428 purchase. I do not know what all you bought but a few things to keep in mind. You will also need to change the flywheel, clutch, starter, some clutch linkage parts, bellhousing, and possibly the transmission.

The best way to be in contact with Phil Parcells is to go to the CCOA website, www.cougarclub.org, and contact him through it. You can fill in your VIN and door data plate information and then add any questions you would like. Those submissions go directly to Phil. He does know a few things about test cars as one of his cars was one.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

The buck tag is usually located on the face of the radiator support on the passenger side, just behind the headlights. It is about the size of a standard business card, but as stated above is made of metal. It will be painted black to match the support so you need to look closely sometimes to see it. It will have the VIN on it so makes sure that it matches your dash tag and door data plate VIN.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95