Paint color

This is good news and fills in another piece of the puzzle. Which side did you find this on? The VIN is usually stamped on both sides. It might be time to check the other side for another puzzle piece.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

It looks like you are showing the front mounting bracket for the bumper in your photo. They should be painted black, not yellow but must have been painted yellow when the last repaint was done. If the numbers are on that bracket then the 17766 and 17767 numbers are probably a part of the part number. The 10 31 D2 and 10 31 D3 would be the date codes, which would be 10/31 and second and third shift.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Randy, I would just love to take off the passenger side fender…all for the love of matching numbers. It’ll give me a break from taking the dash out…which, coincidentally, IS more difficult than the fender and the starter!!

Yeah, the dash pad is more work than pulling back a fender or removing a starter. Some of the screws for the pad are hidden behind other parts plus you are removing small screws, not the larger bolts on a fender or starter. And then the screw heads are finished in black which blends in with the black dash pad making them harder to see as well. As I recall there are about a dozen screws holding the pad in place. If you run into any trouble pulling the pad just let us know, someone will chime in to help.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I’m so tickled to tell you boys we have matching fenders!!!

Now what???

since I suggested this,

I would re-install the tach lens and camera case cover.

you should see 4 small bolts/screws holding the complete instrument cluster in place remove those.

next from under dash follow the speedometer cable up to the cluster and push/squeeze on small tab and pull back on cable to disconnect.

next you will need to disconnect main wiring plug from the back of cluster squeeze both tabs on end of plug

next disconnect small wiring plug for tach

after that you should be able to roll complete assembly out from top

on rear of cluster you will see a printed circuit board this should have a date printed on it.

here is image of rear of cluster

Hello I bought this car with the property can anyone tell me what the car should be it is not an eliminator although the seller claimes it is an original 428 cobra jet car with a 4 speed because the car has been repainted and has eliminator decals I would very much like to know more about what is really should be? please help no plans to sell car currently but want to make it correct feel free to call me if you have more questions I will gather any needed info to identify this car correctly

thank you
Geoffery 309 831 6292
vin is 9f91r516789

#6Post by Geoffery53 » 9 minutes ago
does anyone know how to identify what this car should really be 9f91r516789 9f91r516789 purchase car with a property want to restor it correctly is it a 428 cobrajet 4 speed ? seller says it is but the 428 is hanging on a chain next to it Help

Jeoffery;
You should start a new thread for this. I can tell you from the VIN that this is a 1969 Base Cougar, Built at the Dear born assembly plant with a 428CJ Ram air and was the 16789th Cougar serialized for the 1969 model year. It looks to me that it may have been built in October 1969 well before the introduction of the Eliminator option. By what I see if this Cougar is fairly solid and complete is is worth restoring.

Thank you for the insight that is encouraging would there be a particular item about this car aside from the 1 of 1 drivers rear view? I should be privy to A picture of what this car is supposed to look like would be awesome lol ? I used this thread because this is the actual car in the pictures in the very shop now own ? the previous post I believe are from the person I purchased the car from ? I am not too computer savy so honestly wasnt sure how to start a new thread any information that provides more information about this car or where I may be able to find more information on this car would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Geoffery

nice ride by the way

My 1969 Cougar is a Light Yellow which is a W Code if I ever get past the mechanical restoration and get my car painted I think that it would be a much nicer looking car with a Black Vinyl Top.