Package Tray...

First off… I just learned that’s what it’s called (that shelf behind the back seat). So pat on the back for me… yay.

Secondly. I removed the 6x9 speakers from the back and wanted to restore the car to the original look.
Since the carpet was cut for the speakers… I went out and got similar carpet to go over it (also cut out some wood and replaced and sealed the holes).

My question is. What was originally back there? Was it originally carpeted?
Can anyone help?

Mine is an original 68 with no cutouts and is a plastic board with a very fine cross hatch pattern.

Black would be correct.

Thank you.
So, black plastic board with fine cross hatch pattern.
Does anyone know where I can find a proper replacement?

www.npdlink.com/store/?p=catalog&mode=newsearch&search_str=package+tray&parent=130001&year=1968

Fantastic. Thank you.

Does anyone have links to photos of the original package tray? Are there archives of factory Cougars from 67?

I’ll post a picture later today.

I know this is not a 69 and maybe that’s part of the answer, but I know my first one had a package tray that matched the interior and based on the state and age of the car was original. The grid pattern on it was bigger than the one on the current 69 I have, which has a black one. Was the color based on a specific option package or did this one I have just get the wrong stuff during “restoration” ? Other stuff has been done that looks okay, but isn’t right so I wouldn’t be too surprised either way.

The 67-8 had a pretty spartan looking package tray… 1/8" Masonite board, texture site up purchased from your local home depot will suffice. We offer a free template if you want to save money on shipping.

pt.jpg

My 69 std had the interior color package tray.

Thank you!
Didn’t know I could purchase at local home depot.
Do they come in black there? or do I have to paint it?
If so. Do you recommend a type of paint?

Also. Should I slip this underneath?
Or will it be too thick to fit?
https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/67packins.html?attribs=75

Don may have beaten me to the punch but here are a couple of other pictures FYI. (The pictures are not showing up in the preview - will repost if they don’t show in the final message.)

Package tray.pdf (272 KB)

Pictures.
_rear panel 1.JPG
_rear panel 3.JPG

Yes, that just will fit under the board just fine as it is designed for that. I do not have a recommendation for paint but being the rough side of the board it will absorb a fair amount of semi-gloss paint.

If you spray Kilz on it first it will take a lot less paint.

Fantastic. Thank you all!!

My son and I finished it.
We purchased the masonite board from home depot. Spray painted it with a matte black spray. And then installed it with the insulation we purchased from Cougarpartscatalog.com underneath.

Thank you all for the advice. Was a fun little project for me and my boy.