Opinions requested on a '71!!

Looked at a '71 a couple of times the past two days. Car is '71 XR7 coupe. Very straight body. Only body rust I could find was around rear wheel lips. Frame rails looked good. Chrome trim is good with few pits. Bumpers, especially the front do have a little rust. Car was vinyl top car. Almost all the top has been pulled off(except A frames), with some surface rust under it, but no holes, no bubbles… Passenger side drop off is great. driver side does have some rust. Floor pans not terrible, but probably should be replaced. Car is complete, however the motor (351C 2v) is out and disassembled. All machine work has been done, bored .030. Heads reworked with new springs, valves etc. Everything is there to put it back together including rebuild kit (new pistons, gaskets, etc. etc.) The only thing missing out of the engine compartment is the engine. Sitting on American racing 15" 5 spoke wheels. Interior seats are decent. Some rips. Dash has typical cracks. Has the original AM/FM radio.Headliner looks almost like new with no sagging, tears, etc. Although some rust, car really does not look like the typical east coast car. I know it is all subjective, (what buyer willing to pay etc. LOL!!), but what value would you guys put on it? Also, if I end up taking a pass, anyone interested in it? Car is located in Winston-Salem, NC area. Owner is in Air Force. He’s on leave but must report back the week after Christmas, so wants to get it sold. He does however, have a set price. It is sitting nice and snug in a large garage, along with a '64/5 'stang fastback and a '57 t-bird(supercharged). Wants to sell, but not in dire straits to do so. Thanks for your opinions!!
Thanks
Chuck

I’m not an expert on value on the big cats but I can’t imagine paying more than $1500 for a car that is disassembled, needs mechanical work, rust repair, paint, upholstery, trim, etc. There are lots of cars like this out there and it’s pretty easy to get upside down really quickly when you have to restore a car that needs everything. Decent running, driving and looking 71-73 Cougars can be had for between $2500 & $4000 so make sure you keep that in mind before spending your hard earned money on a project.

I have an original paint Q code 72 xr7 that runs and drives for $2500 and it is no bargain because to repaint it and do the interior and top will run you $15k to do it right and that is probably what the car is worth when done.

I should of been born a rich man! :laughing: My problem is I want to ‘save’ every cat I see for sale! I am supposed to let him know for sure tomorrow, but price on this one is $1200 if anyone is interested…

give him $800 for it…

As Don said “to repaint it and do the interior and top will run you $15k to do it right and that is probably what the car is worth when done.” , i’ll concur, but then its all a lobor of love isnt it. Glad to see some interest in the 71-73 series

Here she is… Oh, BTW, no longer available… :whistle:

One more…

Sorry you didn’t get it… Looks better in the pics than it sounded in the description.

Thanks for the sentiments Bill, but maybe I should of used the Frog grin :grin34: instead of the whistle. It was supposed to be a hint as to why it is no longer available. After looking at it 3 times (should of never went the 1st time–much less 3 times), made an offer and got accepted. Best part about it is a deposit has been given, paperwork done, and she is going to sit nice, warm, and dry right where she is until the Spring. Gives me time to hopefully get Ragcat II on the road, and keeps her out of the elements, which I could not do at this time. Will hopefully be able to get back down there and get all the engine stuff in a few weeks and at least get started putting it back together. Who knows—might even drive her out of that garage when the time comes!!!
Thanks
Chuck

WOW Chuck! That is great news. I really liked this car once I saw the pictures. Free storage is a great deal to boot. I would replace the vinyl top, clean up the interior, do a dash pad repair cap (about $90), and get her running and then drive it.

I also really like the wheels. I think they look great on there. Congratulations!

I have to say I envisioned something a little worse off too. No law out there says you “Have” to restore it… You could paint the vinyl top area, buy a formed plastic dash cover (they work great for 71-73), put a used motor in it, clean it up and have a decent driver by Spring for well under $3000. I think you did well, congrats on the purchase, the front nose is worth more than $1500 if it is as clean as it looks!

Is the t-bird and/or Mustang for sale, too?

Thanks for the comps guys. The more I looked at it the more I liked it. The only body rust I could find is around the driver rear wheel lip. You can just see some of it in the driver side pic. It basically goes around the whole top of the lip, but seems to be just on the lip itself. Some surface rust on both bumpers, but not too bad. The rest of the trim looks really good and I think will shine very nicely. Slight surface rust only on the roof. The front is every bit as clean as it looks Don! I originally thought floor pans were on the rusty side but no longer sure about that. My flashlight batteries were getting weak and the garage is a little dim so I am anxious to get her out in the light and on a lift. As soon as she is out of the garage I plan to sand and paint the roof area 1st thing. Will decide on new top later… The motor is there. Just has to be reassembled. It has had all machine work done, bored .030. All new pistons. Heads have new springs, guides, valves. Have receipts for engine work totaling more than original asking price. Will scrutinize these closely to see if I can determine exactly what she has. Man!! Really looking forward to Spring this year!!
Sorry but the '65 'stang and '57 t-bird aren’t for sale. The 'stang is being restored and the reason for selling the Cougar. A basic 289 fastback. The t-bird belonged to his grandfather. It’s a 312 supercharged bird. Haven’t got to see it yet, but hope to before removing the cat. OH, BTW, the seller is a jet mechanic in the USAF. His daily ride—one of the new 427 Roush 'stangs. Awesome looking car itself… :eek2:
Thanks Again Guys!
Chuck