No '67 or '68 convertibles? Why?

Do I have any photos? I don’t really know. I have been collecting Cougars and related material for over 30 years, as have several others on here, so I have quite a few items here. Boxes full so it would require many hours of going through them to see what I really do have. Yes, my filing system needs improvement.

I seem to recall that this subject was discussed on the other forum in the past, perhaps someone posted photos in one of those threads. I have not been over there for a while so I have not done a search.

I know that I heard the story of the two 67 convertibles many years ago, so many years ago that I do not remember who I heard it from. Perhaps the story is true, perhaps I was only hearing what would become the rumor about the car Bill P talks about in his post. Right now old timers disease is setting in and nothing more is coming from the memory banks. If I do recall anything more I will be sure to post it here.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

If I can find the images, there was at least one full size clay mock up of the convertible. There was also a model that was a four door on one side and possible a convertible on the other. I suspect that these are the cars that Randy is recalling…

I sure hope you can find and share these photos. I know that money was saved doing dual styling from one side to the other. A four door and possibly a convertible mock up on one car would be neat to see.
Steven

No, those are not what I am recalling. My memories are of fully functioning street driven cars.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I hope you can dig those up. It would be a great find. A few of the mock up pictures are in The Big Book Mercury Cougar, the classic years 1967-1973.

Bill are these the convertible mock up photos or the styling mock up photos like what was in the Motor Trend - Car of The Year issue 9 Lives?
Steven

Here are photos of a clay convertible model. Note the four door that Bill metioned earlier in the background.

As discussed earlier in this thread the convertible must have been taken off the shelf early in design along with the four door option. The date on the ID card says 1-22-65.
Steven

I like the “beak” on that model Steven!

Thanks for posting those! I am still looking for what may be a second full size clay or possibly just the other side of that one that shows the 4 door design.

I should ad that we do know from direct interviews with John Aiken, the design manager, for the Cougar, that the convertible and the four door were never seriously considered for build and that the Marketing Manager also was quoted at the time as saying that the choice of a single body style was intentional and deliberate.

Cool pics. It looks like the used a mustang top frame judging by the shape of the quarter glass but the door glass looks like regular coupe glass, i.e. no downward curve at the corner. It also looks like the rearmost bow is set a few inches further back, giving it a longer roofline than the mustang.

Bob I agree. I like the grille and “beak” treatment as well. The grill being angled looks like the tail light grilles. Here is another photo showing a head on view.

I think I would have angled the bottom half back out to copy the fender.

Interesting that the models had the rear sag look even then. Seems that was the intention all along.

Those thin marker/signal lights (assuming that’s what they are) look about 20 years ahead of their time.

I think the look was intentional. I read that even in the photo shoots sandbags were added to the trunk to give it a fast look while standing still.
Steven

All the '68 Mustangs and Shelbys I have owned had the same “nose up” attitude.

I like the thin turn signal marker lights in the prototype convertible photo I posted. I really like the XR7G prototype turn signal/marker/fog light set up better in this picture.

To me everything just flows better without the round turn signals for the prototype cars.
Steven