New to forum, And cougars.

The 302 is an easy motor to work on and now great performance parts are readily avaiable for the Ford small block, not like years ago. These motors respond to good cylinder heads cam and carb combos. You can also build a stroker with out going broke 331 or 347 out of the 302. If you can tune a 5.3 turbo motor or 454 the 302 should not be a problem.

Yeah i like the aspect of Ford in a Ford, but a Fi turbo with 25 more CI is enticing. Idk, itll be awhile before i can yank it, see how bad it is, and go from there.

Well, like Tim Allen once said, putting a GM engine in a Ford (or Cougar) should be a felony.

I’m not the guy to throw rocks at a project that uses outside the box thinking. I admire the “Dare to be Different” builds. You’d be in good company with this guy over on that other site:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?86857-1967-Cougar-build

I love these off the wall builds. The creativity required to make it work is astonishing. There is a build on here with a 2.3 liter turbo charged 4 that never ceases to amaze me. Never had the balls to go into a project like this. Given that pretty much every restoration amounts to throwing away money and time, this really is cranking that up to eleven. It raises the stakes. All I can say is don’t try, succeed. The biggest waste is a project where the car gets cut up and thrown in the trash.

Not punishable by death, but the removal of thumbs isn’t out of the question.

The fact that a site admin kinda likes my idea makes me kinda wanna do it, that it’ll be accepted and not out casted lol. Thanks xr7g428. I think what ill do is for now throw an intake, carb and fuel pump on the 302 and drive it till it dies or leaves me stranded and then out it comes.

Paging Dr. Fastcat, Dr. Fastcat to the white courtesy phone, please…

So after we completely gutted the interior we rebuilt the carb, cleaned up the engine bay, and wiped some of the chrome off with some buffing compound it shined up decent for a car thats been sitting since 85 in a barn that fell in on it…that being said, each floor pan is rusted through and the complete dash and interior needs to be overhauled. I have a feeling this’ll get thrown on the backburner while I do the 68 c10 and my dads buttoning up the Camaro to be drivable. (454 on 255 tires with an open diff makes for an interesting winter driver here in STL…) For the record this car will NOT be cut up or trashed. At most it’ll sit outside under a tarp while I order the floor pans and have to chance to drag it back out of the snow…does anyone have experience with TMI seats? I had my eye one them for a set of Camaro seats but they never replied to my email. Are they good people to work with? I might buy a set of mustang seats. Are the mustang and cougar seat mounts identical? I know cougars are 3-4 inches longer behind the door jamb but didn’t know if it affected seat mounting. Also if anyone knows where to find a complete takeout 6.0 ls in the Midwest please feel free to pm me. Now to go figure out how to get a membership.

Mustang and Cougar seat frames are exactly the same. The difference is in the foam and the upholstry. The seat tracks are exactly the same. The seat risers, the metal piece that is welded to the floor, is different between Mustang and Cougar. Any 67-70 Mustang/Cougar front seat will bolt right in.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Will photobucket work the same as Flickr for uploading pics?

I use Photobucket when posting pictures, it is a really straight forward approach. I’m not sure how Flickr is setup. If you have any issues here is a thread link with detailed information on posting pictures and videos.

Steven

Aight, ill throw up some more recent pictures of the cat later when i get home from school.

Here are some pics from last weekend as promised. I hit Preview and the pics are huge. Sorry!
Heres under the rear passenger seat area, new hatred for mice.

Heres the nasty mouse piss covered, wasp nest encrusted dash :mrgreen:

Under the passenger floor.

I like the slicks, theyre old and dry rotted but i like the look, if only i could find some 15x6 mustang steelies to match :wink:

drivers side floor. torque boxes and shock towers on each side have seen better days and need replacing.

More pics to come.

Heres the trunk panel i mentioned awhile ago. its worse on the other side but the tank perimeter is perfect.

Heres the Alpine we traded to Gary.
Heres how it was when we got it. I kid you not, this thing has HUNDREDS of Muddobber wasp nests in it…no thank you.

Stopped by JeffCity on the way home.

Jack it looks like you have quite the project. Slow and steady will get the job done. Rust is a killer. That Alpine looked like one sweet ride. I’ve always liked the Alpine/Tigers, cool cars.
Steven

Congrats on the project :slight_smile:

I see it has slicks and towhooks in the front, what`s the story on this cat ?

I really like the shot in front of the capital or the courthouse building in Jefferson City. Little bit crusty on the torque boxes but I’ve seen worse, nice project.

Tried to post earlier but service in my school is shoddy. It belonged to a friend of my dad, he raced it back on the street back in the late 70s and early 80s before he died :frowning: then another friend of my dads bought it and drove it until the late 80s when he parked it and it sat how you see in the pics. The friend emailed my dad after not having contact with him for around a decade and quizzed him over a few months what he’d do with it, all while not saying who it was, my dad figured it out after a bit (There weren’t many red Xr7 cougars with white and black interiors running around Stl back in the day) and he realized who it was. The car’s extremely sentimental to my dad, and now me also. As for the tow hooks and slicks, the tow hook is a single strap wrapped around the frame to be able to move it and the slicks were just put on to get it to roll. the drums and discs were all locked when we brought it home.