New To CCOA

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jim Leggett. I live 20 miles North of Nashville TN. I have a 1967 289 2V C4 Cougar that I registered on the forum and bought in 2012. In 1983 I had a beautiful 67 XR7, my 2nd car, that I let go of for $500 and always regretted. I came across the one I have now after seeing it on the drives to pick up and return my kids for visitation. One day I was ready to knock on the door when I drove by and there was a for sale sign in the car, so I bought it. The car spent most of its life in Northern Calif. around San Juan Batista. It was shipped here in 2006 to the owners sister after he passed away.
The car has not run since 2008. I’m a mechanic by trade, but I changed to this profession later in life. So, I had to educate myself on older fuel systems primarily carburetors. I have replaced the fuel tank, lines, filter, pump, and rebuilt the motorcraft 2100. As of today she runs until she warms up. Manifold Vac was 20inHG while warming up and mix screws are turned out 3 turns. I started to adjust the first mix screw and she stalled. I have not checked the cars timing yet so I will be doing that next. I tried to attach some of the more detailed photos I’ve taken, but the pic files are too big and I only have a few smart phone pics.
Anyway, I’m happy to be here and know CCOA will be a great resource during this restoration.

Welcome!

Hope you get her up and running in time for all the 2017 50th anniversary festivities!

• Phillip

First, welcome to the forum, you can find a wealth of info. from the friendly folks here, there are many of us that belong to the CCOA (Cougar Club Of America) but this forum is called CCC (Classic Cougar Community).
It sounds like you are on the right path with your 2100, at about 800 RPM you should be able to turn the air/fuel mixture screws in one at a time, until the engine starts to stumble and back them out until engine is at max vacuum.
We do like pictures!

Welcome to the Classic Cougar Community Jim. As stated above you will find a wealth of information here. Just use the search tool. If you can’t find what you’re looking for feel free to ask the question. As far as posting pictures, here is a link to the topic of posting pictures. https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/howto-post-images-in-the-forum/86/1
Hopefully that will help answer the photo questions that you might have.
Steven

Welcome Jim,
Glad to see you are keeping another great Cougar on the road. 2017 there are a lot of events planned, which I hope you will be able to take part in.

There are a lot of great people to help with questions as they come up. On the forum and in the CCOA. This forum also has a lot of posts to search with information people have provided to help.

Greg Taylor the Technical Advisor for the CCOA is a great contact and worth reaching out to via the phone or email

Welcome Jim,
Glad you introduced yourself and joined the club and forum. You will enjoy it here and learn a lot. These people here are very knowledgeable and willing to help and shed some of their Cougar expertise. Me on the other hand am still learning too, and am not so knowledgeable!

Welcome. I just passed you on the way from Ga to Il. Great trip except for 1-24 being shut down completely at exit 7 with no detour laid out for us tourists (smart phone saved my bacon). Hope you get her up and running.