new rare find

Check this one out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-428CJ-MERCURY-COUGAR-XR7-SURVIVIOR-FACTORY-DRAG-PROGRAM-/251136902831?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a78ed06af#v4-40

I saw that one today also Lew, I don’t know why I look cause i’m definitely not in the market for another cat but I guess its its an old habbit. I chuckled to myself at the one photo of the guy under the hood and for some reason it just looked to me like he was saying “so now what” :smoke:

“sitting in storage since 1977” Apparently the storage place was located in an open field in the northeast. He probably also should have clarified the door tag. There is a nice picture of it showing the proper VIN and codes. But there is also a couple pictures showing that the door has clearly been replaced. Just sayin’.

That sure is a neat car, but a couple of things don’t make sense to me. If Mercury gave that car to Fast Eddie to “tune and see what he could get out of it” with the purpose of drumming up new business, why would it have been ordered with AC? Plus the smog equipment is still mostly intact, and a SCJ would seem to make more sense for that purpose. Maybe it was just a “perk” FoMoCo gave him to use as a daily driver?

I wish the seller would have provided a Marti.

Regardless, it’s a cool, surprisingly well equipped CJ car with an interesting history. I hope someone restores it to its former glory. I’d like to see what the black with gold interior combination looks all cleaned up. I bet it would look pretty amazing.

The way it is optioned (3:50 gear, auto with air) I would agree it doesn’t match the claim to see what kind of performance they could get out of it. A 4:30 drag pak with 4spd would make more sense. I would asume it was most likely more of a show car that was taken to various events. Still they need to show some of the tittle with Eddie Scharman name on it. That would be the document worth adding to the ebay listing along with a Marti.

I dunno. Mercury did a lot of stuff in that time period that didn’t add up.

A lot of performance cars came with a/c back then.

As usual another Epay ad full of claims but short on proof. SOuld love to see a Marti report showing where the car was delivered as for the "THIS CAR IS A SPECIAL ORDER CAR SPECIAL PAINT AND TRIM COLORS " claim the door tag clearly shows a color code “A” (Black) and only a two digit DSO. If it was an original special paint car the color code would be blank and the DSO would be a six digit code - have owned a dozen or so special paint Mustangs over the years.

Love the support he gives the claim of being “rare” LOL by writing “VERY RARE OUT OF ALL THESE YEARS I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER BLACK WITH GOLD 428CJ COUGAR” A couple bucks to Kevin Marti and he would know how "rare’ the car was - heck Kevin does everything he can to come out with a one of one report in the end :wink:

Guess its asking too much for claims made to have some documentation to support them - well sheep were born to be sheared :greenchainsaw:

So the seller wanted more than the $10G reserve price (which he didn’t get), leading me to ask, how much is it worth in that condition, how much would it be worth in restored condition, and how much would it cost to restore it?

Thanks for letting me play in your playground. :clap:

Dean/Quasar500

No good at guessing what others will spend on cars (wrong too often when guessing those things) Cost to restore it depends on what you call restored and to what level. Allot of things go into that cost but would guess that a lower end fix-ur-up job would be $40 maybe $50K then up through $80-90K if your not going crazy like some do with Mustangs and Shelby’s. See guys spending $150K on early Shelby restorations fairly often - unfortunately at that price they don’t always receive a well built car :crazy:

Value is anyone’s guess. It’s a buyer beware market.
P.T. Barnum would have loved eBay.