New Member - '70 Base Restoration

Hi Everyone. New to the forum. Just purchased a '70 base and about to begin the restoration process as a novice. Car has been sitting in the garage in the photos for roughly 20 years. Body has some rust through in the typical problem areas, but is mostly solid, as is the frame. Floor boards are completely rusted out. Will be repainting back to the original medium bronze metallic color. Plan to make everything original, except not reinstalling the black vinyl top, and beefing up the 2V engine. Looking forward to the challenge. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or wisdom. Best. Jim

Welcome aboard Jim, looks like you will will have your hands full with that one. As you can see in my signature I have a couple 1970 Cougars myself. The 70 base I have may be about the same condition as yours.

You can follow along with my slow going slog on it here; https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/0f91q5056/8328/1

Good luck and be sure to ask a ton of questions.

Congratulations on your new project and on finding this forum. Lots of people on here with good knowledge.

Saw your other post looking for a grill. West Coast Classic Cougar has one in stock. They are a great resource for parts and also for reference photos.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/14136/12378/grille-center-hood-grade-b-used-1970-mercury-cougar.html?sessionthemeid=26

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your progress! Don’t be afraid to ask a question here, not too many these guys here can’t answer

Welcome aboard!

I have to say, you might consider keeping the vinyl top. They are seldom seen these days, and chances are good that if the car is restored it will no longer face inclement weather or outdoor storage ~ both of which were the bane of vinyl top cars over the years.
Besides, the black top, black interior and bronze exterior would be a great look.

Just something to think about :think:

Thanks for responding and for the great suggestions everyone. It’s great to know there are so many people willing to help. I’ll follow up on the grill and Mike, you talked me into keeping the vinyl top!

Best,

Jim