New guy that needs input on first 68 Cougar purchase

Don, those are all good points. Help me out a little what is the DSO on the DS data plate? I can ask him to take a picture of it for me. I paid 18k for my Nova about a year ago, but like you said it’s a hobby (although currently my daily driver). From what I’ve seen it looks like everyone has a Nova, I am looking for something different than what ever one else has.

Any ideas on why the front sits higher?

If condition of both cars are equal. I think it would be a fair trade given the resale value of both cars. With that said, if it were me I would sell the Nova out right as I’m not too fond of some of the mods done. But, that is just a matter of “my” taste and the mods done to the Cougar might suit you well.

Wrong coil springs installed, or he might need it that hight to clear the large wheels.

delete… double post

For the money you should buy this one being talked about in another thread. Way nicer Cougar for the money even if it needs some maintaince work done. 67 big block 4spd fixed will be worth more in the end with a “high” fun factor! https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/67-big-block-4-speed-clutch-help-needed/3369/1

The door data tag riveted to the drivers side door shows the DNA of the car. Post a pic here and we will decode it for you. Like your Nova, getting big wheels and tires to fit without rubbing can be a challenge thus the raised height.

I am having him take a picture for me and will post it as soon as I get it.

Okay here is what he sent. A picture of the tag. I also had him send me what the tag said because it’s hard to read in the picture.

The data tag says

"8R91C508784

1968 standard hardtop made in Ca, orig 289 car"

You are going to have to type those #'s out… Kinda of tells you short cuts were taken on the paint job when they cannot take 60 seconds to mask off the tag.

Ok, maybe it’s just me, but the VIN on that tag looks like it ends with a 65… not an 84.

That door tag vin doesn’t look anything like the vin he is being told. I wonder if that door was replaced with another during the repaint and since they didn’t even mask the tag off its highly unlikely that they would move the tag over.

I am a very newbie, having bought my Lime frost 68 xr7 off Ebay Sunday Jan 26th after having sold my nice 64 Falcon v8 hardtop just the day before to pursue this Cougar! Made $ on the Falcon with enough left over to have the Cougar transported. I enlarged and studied pics, as well as asked owner many questions - lot of surface rust amkes it look ugly, but hope it as solid as I am expecting! Link to what I bought and hope price was fair:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-COUGAR-XR7-302-4V-J-CODE-ORIGINAL-PAINT-CALIFORNIA-BLACK-PLATE-CAR-/370990528566?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0PreM5NQuB%252BQIrINfKZ3%252BLcvDA4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Very well bought my friend… That is what so many of us strive to find but few achieve, I have a feeling you are going to like what you see. Welcome!!!

Looks like you got a good one. But, check the cowl vent for leaks. Looks like some rust in the passengerside floor pan that will need fixed. The cause of the rust might be from a cowl vent leak.

Ive been keeping an eye on that exact car. It is literally a twin of mine! Looks to be very solid. You don’t find cars like that here in Ohio. That’s why I got my in Washington. Enjoy!!

Where in Ohio are you located?

You’d be surprised what pops up from time to time here in the rust belt. I got my Cougar a couple years back here in Chicago, beautiful shape and rust free except for a little bit in the driver’s side floor pan along the rocker. It had been here for a few years but always garaged and never seen a winter. Before that it was a California->Vegas car. If you keep your eyes peeled, rust free Cougars can pop up just about anywhere, though sure it’s more likely that examples you find around here are going to have rust problems if they’ve been here any serious number of years.

Lancaster just south of Columbus. I was in Painesville 2 weeks ago getting some parts from a car up your way.

Yep. Painesville is pretty close relatively speaking. I go to the Goodguys Nationals at the State Fairgrounds every July. It’s a GREAT show.