My Cougar story

Thanks for the kind words Ray, funny you mention the 3 speed. I swear every one that sees it is amazed it has a 3 speed, then they are confused it’s not on the tree! I need to run the next step of the marti to see how many are built like mine.

There were no three on the tree Cougars. Floor shift only.

I am aware of that fact but the majority of people that see it ask that question. Alot of people also assume cougars never had a manual transmission and where auto only.

When you said “I need to run the next step of the marti to see how many are built like mine.” I though you were referring to floor shift versus three on the tree. For '68 Standard 302 2V 3 speed the answer is 4,922. Quite rare at about 5% of production. The real odd duck three speed is the S code 390 4V only 84 of those were built (standards). I actually have a hankering to get a '67 standard 2v 3 speed with manual steering manual brakes and pretty much no options. I think with the addition of some decent roll bars and maybe manual front discs that it might be the most fun to drive of all…

My '67 left the factory just that way. I think the only options were full wheelcovers, whitewalls, and maybe an AM radio (not sure where I put the Marti).

I did change it to a 4 speed, & added tri Y headers/duals, & the chrome engine dress up. It’s been a fun car.

The 5% number was something I remember reading before. I once had a 72 Mustang with the same transmission. Tough as nails! Rock Crusher, stump puller, they were tough. My advice, make all the upgrade you like, but don’t separate that transmission, from that car! Just my opinion

Sorry for the confusing post bill, I do actually have the marti report on my car but only the deluxe version. I have not splurged for the full report just yet. The only two options mine had where decor interior and wide oval tires. Everything matches what the actual car is/was except for power steering. I did not see that on the option list but my car has it.