My Cougar story

I have not been apart of this awesome community for very long but have already run into a few great members willing to help a stranger out. Its crazy to think about how many twists and turns you get in life and when one door closes another opens! I will not bore you guys with the details of the last few months but a quick summary is in order. I have been actively shopping for a cougar for the better part of 7-8 months, off and on longer then that. During my research of what year and level of car I ultimately wanted to end up with I landed on this site and made a post in the WTB section outlining what I was looking for. I was surprised in the amount of response I received, several posts and pm’s with several leads to look into. I was contacted by a guy that had a 68 that he was thinking about selling. We talked in great detail and eventually settled on a deal. It was more of a project then I originally wanted and partially disassembled on top of it. However everything appeared to be there and the car was rock solid sheet metal wise so I figured it was worth it. The day before going to pick it up the seller said he family was upset for him selling the car and apparently they had interest in it and he couldn’t sell it. As disappointing as it was I understood the reasoning and kept looking. A few weeks later Don offers up one of his cars he was wanting to sell, It was alot more money then the previous deal but it was also much more car. We worked out a deal and I was securing transport when an family emergency put a halt to everything. Not waiting to make Don wait an undetermined amount of time before I could make the deal I had to cancel since it looked like it would eat any and all of my car funds. I called off the search on a cougar and set my mind to resolving the family situation not knowing when I would be able to return.
A couple months later I get a call about the first deal that didnt pan out and he informed me he decided to sell it after all. Knowing I wanted this to be a father son project he felt like it was worth selling to me rather then just listing on Craigslist and selling it to just anyone. As luck/fate/whatever would have it I had just enough cougar fund cash left to make a deal happen. Not the best timing but I felt I could make it happen. So here we are, finally an owner of my very own cougar!

Now that I have bored you guys with my back story more about the car. I have yet to do a marti report but the vin decodes to and matches what I see on the car. 68 standard, 302 2v, 3speed manual, manual drum brakes, decor trim interior, seafoam green exterior, ivy gold interior. Previous owner bought it in 94, drove it for a bit then decided to work on restoring it around 99-2000. Its been in arizona since at least 94 but most likely longer. Engine, transmission, axle, fender aprons all match the numbers on the car. Suspension has been rebuilt, shocks, springs, bushings etc. Transmission rebuilt and new clutch, differential rebuilt and regeared to 3.55. Granada front disc swap. It was driven about 1200miles and then parked. Interior was completely removed along with both bumpers, headlights, taillights, fenders etc. We had to hang everything back on the car to make transport easier so most of pictures I have look more complete then it is. Everything is simply loosely installed to get it home. The previously owner did a pretty good job separating and bagging all the hardware so it should be easy enough to get back together.

I was able to get the motor started after sitting at least 15+ years, after rebuilding the carb and cleaning out the fuel system she fired right up. Best I can tell the motor is original and has not been touched except for the msd distributor, intake and carb. This is a couple pics after I took it around the block a few times. I did have to correct the previous owners brake issues and put all the pedals back in along with the steering column. I just kinda stuck the wiring in it well enough to drive it. I couldn’t resist.

It looks like you have a great Cougar to start with. I like the Seafoam green. Congratulations on finally getting a Cougar.
Steven

Hi I have a 69 cougar convertible when I was just married in 1973 and just loved that car I was so proud to drive it my husband was a mean man and he traded the car for a green truck not even close of my cougar I couldn’t stop him the car was in his name. years went by and it ended up waiting for the cougar I knew I would fine one but I would look and two years I found it but I have love for them I would love to the car over they are so beautiful. I don’t know why they get crushed my granddaughter can’t get over the way I name a car just by looking at it the cars today do not match up to the order cars.if I won I would take pleasure restoring it thank you silky Tanner

The pics look good. Love the seafoam.

Its not too bad, however its not the original paint(however original color) and the previous owner did a little sanding in some areas on the right side of the car. Its a same since I could have probably wet sanded it and brought it back to looking decent. In its current state it will need to be repainted before I can do anything big. For color I am leaning another way then the original seafoam.

Oh well. Still a great ride, what color?

Thinking ford ignot silver or the current dark grey ford magnetic color

Both great colors. My wife’s Fiesta is Ignot Silver, and the '17 'stang by stepson just bought is magnetic.

only thing stopping me from the silver is I Ive owned a 2011 raptor in silver and currently own a fusion in silver. Thinking it will end up magnetic since I have never owned that color and I think it will fit the cougar well. I am not to worried about 100% originality with this car as I want a solid driver to enjoy. No plans to make any type of non reversible changes to the car just reasonable upgrades

Your starter solenoid is upside down. It should work like that but be sure to pay close attention if you change the wiring as the sides will be opposite what the diagrams show.

good catch. Mine was missing when I bought the car so I did not have a reference to how it mounted to the fender. I plan to build all new cables for the battery, starter, relay, grounds etc.

I need to pick up the assembly manuals so I can better reference everything. I have a workshop manual however.

My thoughts are it’s your car, build what you want out if it. As long as it’s keeping it getting crushed I say enjoy it. Magnetic would look very cool.

Unlike what I found out happed to the Cougar I sold… pisses me off but what can you do?

What mind of master cylinder used with granada swap with manual brakes

75 or 76 Granada master cylinder with manual disc brakes

Master cylinder is a disc/drum master listed for the actual car along with the booster. Nothing up there changes with the Granada swap.

ok so your saying I can use the master cylinder from a 75 or 76 Granada as long as it has manual brakes because I have a master cylinder fro a 78 Granada but it had power brakes so not sure if I can use it

You use the master cylinder listed for your cougar.

Good luck on your cougar DieselD. From what I’ve read, cougars with a 3 speed manual transmission, is quite a rare thing. Hopefully the Marti report will confirm it for you. Always nice to start with a solid car, good bones, and you definitely have that.
Ray.