Just a reminder and a note to new members

Thanks.
WHere do you look for a fuel line?

At the fuel pump and carb. Possibly at the fuel tank. I will let others chime in.

Lots of info when you use the search engine. My favorite tool that does not require coming into contact with grease dirt and oil! :slight_smile:

On 67 through 70s you should be a section at the fuel tank, one at the drivers side torque box, one at the fuel pump(usually about a foot long here) and one at the carb, On 71 through 73 you will not have one at the D/S torque box, but will have a section inside the engine compartment just behind the Drives side shock tower. Your car may very depending on what previous owners did to it. You should inspect all of the fuel line as well as the rubber sections at least once a year.

And at the gas tank fuel sender

Corn based fuels are rough on older style rubber. Reason older fuel pumps and carbs often fail When the stuff first came into use allot of car makers released silent recalls on fuel line related repairs

Thanks. I wish there was a visual diagram to look at for all of these places.

Don’t have time to draw it so here is a series of pictures that should lead you to the sections of hose. The mid long tube hose will be found on later 67’s up into 70 as mentioned. The specific location of the one at the carb depends on the type of carb used but you’ll find it if you just fallow the steel line from the fuel pump :wink:

If we made it any easier we would be doing it for you :unamused:

Remember (read be prepared) that removing or disconnecting most of these will result in a fuel spill so have something to catch the fuel and operate in a well ventilated area

Good luck

This is fantastic!
THank you so much!

What length of fuel line would be needed to replace all sections on a 67?

J,

Thanks for posting those pics!

I think your reply should be made into a sticky and put on top on in the maintenance section!

It would depend on the carb set up you have, but I would say: fuel tank, 3"; under drivers door, 3"; fuel pump to fender apron, 1’; steel line to carb ~ 1’, so all total with a little extra 3 feet.
Just guesstimates based on replacing mine and without going to the garage to measure.

…and of course I just noticed that yours is a '67 and I don’t know about that one since mine’s a '69… :open_mouth:

So I used new worm gear hose clamps.

I still have the original clamps. Ok to reuse? I can’t remember if I read somewhere not to.

Thanks,

Ed

Not sure which clamps your referring to since there are at least 4 different styles depending on location, year and plant,

Yes they can be reused (guess your asking about the crimped clamps) if the metal is in good condition and you loosen the crimp part way and of course have the correct tool to replace them. Reproduction are available but they differ slightly depending on what year you have

Tower clamps are typically not recommended for re-use, and that’s probably what was being referred to.

Well good thing that there are any tower clamps used in these locations. Tower clamps were not great to begin with originally on the cars but have reused them a number of times, sometimes with the help of a little sealant

Sorry, Jeff, I’m confused. Did you mean to say that there were not any tower clamps used? or that it is good that they were used here and that I am incorrect (and I may certainly be…)?

I’m not aware of tower clamps being used in any of the related (fuel line) connections for fuel on 67-71 Cougars nor any applications during 65-73 for Mustangs.

Just wanted to say the pics helped us tremendously. My 14 year old and I just did an inspection of all the points and our 67 cougar’s fuel lines look good to go.
Thanks again.

Keep in mind that good to go now can change fast with alcohol in almost all gas these days.

As I go through preventatively replacing these sections of hose, what do you guys think about connections. I’ve gone to SS braided hose with 6AN threaded connectors on the pressure side of the pump.

Overkill for tank-to-pump…or just spend that money and secure the whole system?

Holy crap did this place and you guys just become super valuable (more than before).

I had no idea there was another rubber section to the fuel line at the torque box.

I’ve been soaking my line with acetone and was wondering why it still felt restricted.

I think you guys just provided the answer.

(And yes, replacement is in it’s future. I’ve been working on a temporary fuel cell in the trunk just to keep the car mobile while I work on it so clearing out the old line was on the to do list.)