Install of Steering column shaft retainer clips

After doing everything to my front end on my 69 vert with tilt away column, I have concluded that the play in the wheel is due to these clips being missing or worn. I watched the video on WCCC and even tried to email Tony Augustine, but no response. Is this a repair a backyard mechanic can do? Must the the entire column be removed?

I believe you have to pull the column. The lower shaft slides into the upper tube/shaft. I just rebuilt a 69 tilt and i don’t see how you could remove lower shaft due to the steering box being in the way. Good time to check the bearings & reseal the tube. Kinda a job, takes a bit of patience.

1st. Disconnect the rag joint from the box or undo the 2 - 1/2" bolts (non tilt) holding the rag joint to the column tube.
2nd unplug signal switch (under dash) White rectangular connector (67-8) or crescent connector (69-70White/ black)
3rd. Undo bolts holding column to dash. 9/16 nuts & sometine take the studs w/it. Put the studs back in to secure the floating nuts or you will have a real fun time tryng to get them in while holding up the column. (68’s & 9iirc). 70 are a bit different, but watch out for the thin metal bracket that should hold the Ign switch connector 7 the turn signal connector… It is very sharp!
4th Once removed, set the column on a folded up blanket to support the column. (Remove steering wheel after step1!)

Pull the lower out of the upper tube. It has been in there for years & does not want to come out. I clamp the upper columnit in a bench vice & tap/drive the lower out w/ a plastic mallet ( the ones w/ lead pellets in it) . Putting the tube back in is a bit of a challenge, so see Tony suggestions

Here- https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/part-32057-review/15316/2

Hope this helps!

Tony is a busy man, but VERY helpful!!