How to break in to my own car - door not unlatching

Hi

Last night as I was doing some minor work, my car decided to be hilarious. Something in the door latch mechanism must have disengaged and i’m now unable to open the driver side door - the handle button is loose. Both inside and outside handles are loose actually.

What happened - i had the door closed, unlocked, window down, reached out inside the car and inadvertently pushed the lock button in the process. Tried to open the door, didnt work obviously, realised the lock button was down, pulled it up, and since the door handle button is just loose/disengaged. I can push it but it does nothing. As the window is down, i tried the inside handle but that isnt doing anything either.
The locking push button seems to be working fine (as well as the key cylinder), it looks more like a rod connecting the handle mechanism is disconnected at the latch level.

Anything i should try before trying to remove the door panel ? can i even remove the door panel with the door shut ?

Thanks

With the window down you can actuate the lock mechanism with a stiff rod and open it. I think the procedure is in the shop manual IIRC.

Put the straw on your aerosol penetrating can and soak the entire latch area. Unscrew your plastic lock knob, attach vise grips and forcefully lock and unlock quickly until you hear it release.

On '67 and '68 there is a well known problem with the lock rod being too tight causing this problem. It is covered in the factory service manual at lest for 1968. I do not know if this effects the later cars. I did a write up on this a few years back.

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/how-to-the-door-on-67-or-68-wont-open/2861/1

Excellent thank you - i had searched the forum but it didn’t come up.

To just get the door open to be able to check out your latch assy, you can release the door latch by reaching down to it (next to the glass runner) and hooking it with a coat hanger. Once your door is open you can see if your latch imploded. You can check to see which lever to use by comparing the look from the opposite door when you move the door handle.

Before going to home depot buy a rod, i tried to jiggle the lock knob up and down and i fairly quickly heard a klunk … and the door opens now.
Amazing tip !! Thank you

Works every time… I have never once had to try another method.

Sometimes the armrest padding interferes with the inner door handle so that it does not return to its “at rest” position. When this happens the outside lock or the button won’t unlock the door. Many a junk yard Cougar or Mustang found this way. Returning the inner handle to its fully relaxed position allows the door lock to function again.