Hertz XR7-G In San Jose

This is a known Hertz G. Not mine…

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/mercury-cougar-xr-dan-gurney/6229900357.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Mercury-Cougar-Hertz-XR7-G-/302398567411?hash=item46685bf3f3:g:oM0AAOSw6KVZfP8m&vxp=mtr

Edited to add EBAY link…

Not the best Hertz G but it sure looks like a solid candidate for restoration. I’d be interested to see what price it will bring in it’s current condition.
Steven

I agree. If it can be had for the right price, it would probably be worth it.

The problem is, people don’t understand that with a scarce car like this, there is a huge investment that goes into a correct/near-correct restoration. It isn’t something you can slap a coat of paint on and put in any old carburetor to make it run. If it is done, it needs to be done right.

very true and on top of that they believe the car is worth a ton of money in its current state.

Car could be worth about $22K?

I emailed the guy yesterday and introduced myself. I asked what he is looking to get out of the car and he hasn’t replied. I know he is waiting for offers, but he has to have an idea what his number is…

Wow, that makes me feel good about my car!

My x code non runner no sunroof project sold within hours of rolling into my shop north of $20k last month. It was missing some rare parts.

That’s great to hear Don. I have the twin to the car that is for sale. I am in the process of replacing the floors and hopefully will be putting it up for sale soon.

I hope your right Don. I just can never seem to be able to price Cougars like this Hertz G. I thought the Black Cherry J Code XR7G that was on eBay a month or two back wouldn’t have brought more than what the bids ended at. I believe it ended at a little north of $15k and it was a running and driving Cougar.
Steven

I thought this was your G you got from Frank when I first looked at it. Then I noticed some differences.

The XR7-G still isn’t well understood by the car universe. I was at a over 400 car, all Ford car show that had nine Cougars there. Talking to these Cougar owners people were asking them if there was any Cougar that was low production and some of the owners tried to explain Gs, GTEs, and Eliminators. Most of the people asking heard about the Elims with some knowing a GTE has a 427 (did Ford buy those from Cheby?), but when the G was mentioned those who recognized ‘G’ still thought it was the Dan Gurney Special. As a comparison to this car being sold I recently looked at its AO Smith cousin, a 68 GT500, that had a more swiss cheese body but had all Shelby parts and it sold for $41K. And there was only 619 Gs made to 4450 68 Shelbys??? (the G has a nicer looking console :mrgreen: )

I agree with this. When you say XR7-G, people look at you with their mouths open. When you mention Dan Gurney, they always say “Oh yeah, a Dan Gurney Special.”

Looks to me like it might be worth $5,000 tops in present condition. Needs everything. Someone with a limitless supply of extra parts, time and funds might try to tackle this one. No photos of the engine or engine bay. Car has been off the road since 1974 and no doubt sitting outside being abused by the weather. Lots of body damage, including a replacement fender. Crash damage possibly? People hear that since it’s a G, it is worth huge amounts of money. By the time someone gets done restoring the car, they probably could have bought 2 or 3 others in running driving condition with decent bodies and interiors. Hopefully it will go for a reasonable price to someone who knows how to restore it.

The car is now listed on Ebay. Auction ends next Saturday. Auction has less pictures then the Craigslist add. Both listings do not mention,if the motor spins or is locked up. Looks like top has surface rust. Right front fender would need to be repaired or replaced. Driver side quarter panel would need to be repaired.Also hood would need to be repaired or replaced. With out seeing pictures of the under side of this car I would guess paint and body work would cost $7000.00 -$10000. Not knowing the status of the engine, it may need to be rebuilt. Thats another $6000 -$7 000 Breaks,suspension and fuel system gone through. $2000-$3000 and interior redone. My guess would be that he wants on the plus side of $10,000. My guess to re do the car correctly $35000 -$40000. The G in Portland Oregon on Craiglist might be a better deal. On this car the seller states that most of the body work has been done.

I met with the owner yesterday he is a really nice guy, and viewed the xr7g. He’s owned this car for many years, and it’s been off the road since 1974…Wow!

The up side to this rare Hertz Cougar is the sunroof looked to be in good condition, with no visible rust other than surface rust. The original g parts that are present on the car are the side badges, console, shift knob, xr7g tag on passenger’s side dash, locking hood pins with key, front and rear valances, hood scope, and the chrome valve covers. New g parts I saw are new exhaust tips exhaust trim rings, aftermarket side mirror, new repro badges, and a set of later model Lucas fog lights without covers.

This car however is not for the amateur looking for a project. This car will need everything gone through. It will need full floor pans, trunk sheet metal over the frame rails, lower part of the fresh air cowl, and the hood is rusted out and un-repairable. Driver’s side front engine compartment inner sheet metal and the radiator support will need to be replaced due to an impact in the front. I could also see the torque converter through a large hole in the casting on the top of the transmission. I didn’t try turning the motor to see if it would spin freely because the distributor hole was full of debris left by rodents living in the engine compartment. This is just the obvious stuff that you can see without removing anything to see what’s hidden

Unfortunately I did noticed none of this information is mentioned in the eBay listing and I hope potential buyers are asking these questions before they are bidding or they will be in for a big surprise. I hope this helps out potential buyer of the car. It’s always nice to have someone on the ground.

Anthony

Yeah, I bought my Red G on EBay many years ago with a very similar add and it was pretty much just like you described this car. Nowhere near the description that should have accompanied the listing.

Yes you did :sunglasses: ! I was the guy who decided not to bid on it in the final seconds, and you ended up with it. After hearing your description of the car you bought I was glad I backed out. It was too much of a project for me at that time.

Anthony

I hope whoever gets this Hertz G decides to give it a proper restoration. I will be interested to see what it brings at the close of auction.
Steven

This would be the third G I’ve seen that had the original pins replaced with a locking plate with a usually round hollow key entry (like mag wheel locks). It must have been a 60s/70s thing. The under side of the hood had to be enlarged.