Gauge lens polishing

Is there a safe way to polish these lenses? 1967 gauges resto project. I’ve got them disassembled and wish to freshen up the lenses if possible

I think Blitz did this in his snowball thread. Check there.

If they aren’t scratched too deep use Novus. It just requires some patience. If they have deep scratches you’ll want to replace them.

Also, polishing will not take any fogginess out. If they are foggy, there is nothing that can be done.

+1 on the Novus system, that’s what I used. I just did it by hand with microfiber towels and the results were great. I didn’t use any power tools and it didn’t take very long. It’s a 3-part system but I only did parts 1 and 2 (cleaner and fine scratch remover). My lenses were in good shape, just 50 years old and a bit dull.

I didn’t polish the back sides because I didn’t want to mess with the white lettering. Just gave them a gentle cleaning with the #1 stuff.

Thank you gentlemen!

Another vote for the Novus kit. Same process as Andrew did but I polished the backside as well with no affect to the lettering. Came out great. Also the Novus kit works wonders on the taillight lenses as well.

Thanks…can’t wait to get them polished up and put back in the car.

I wet sanded (3000 grit) and polished with a sponge ball on the end of my cordless drill my lenses on my convertible conversion project. Here is the link with photos.

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/the-national-database-project/226/1

It’s not very time consuming and the results are well worth the effort. I also used plain white latex craft paint on the letters and numbers so they fresh as well. As long as your lens isn’t cracked they can be sanded and polished to like new condition. I also did the same process to the taillight lenses with great results. Those photos are in the same project post that I listed above.

Steven

Dont forget to paint the needle and the red speedo marks!

I did the needle and the red/orange speedometer marks. The gauge cluster is one area that you spend most of your time looking at in a Cougar. Take the extra time for the details like these they make all the difference. I also did the LED upgrade for the lights and the bulb diffusers as well.