expert opinions solicited

Which product did you use, it’s stated that Avery is 5.7 mills and 3M is 3.5 mills, but don’t show chrome.
I am very interested in this process, thanks for showing.

ok great thanks for the tips!!

I ordered 48" Avery SW900 SIlver Chrome (843) “WRAPASWRAPCH48” from CheetahWrap.com. $27 + Shipping. You’re correct, it’s 5.7 mil, not the 4, I thought I remembered it to be. It’s certainly tougher, but makes me wonder if the thinner 3M might be more workable.

holiday update. still working on making all the foam bits on the inside and cleanup up the toggle switches and such. but…lenses polished, gage faces cleaned, metal parts cleaned & repainted

You need to paint the orange stripe on the speedo.

Just the speedo, or both? I’m trying to find some good images on ‘the google’ but those dang mustangs (which I love) keep showing up. Many of those have both the tach and speedo painted.

No orange on the tach. Though I’m not sure why, that would be more appropriate. I took the lazy way out and bought a speedometer that still had bright orange paint. I’m not sure how easy that would be any more.

akfordman,
Before paining needles, do more checking, all I have seen are white on speedo and tach. There is a how to on WCCC web site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZz-tjt9Go

Needles are white, talking about the stripe on the face of the speedo.

Doh! Yeah, figured that out after a bit. Also found a post were the red-line was cleverly masked to make painting it much easier and way more precise https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/mercury/generations/cougar-gen1/builds/1968-xr7-g-hertz-restoration-by-xr7-gry

masked for color accent and awaiting shipment of red needle paint from WCCC along with better toggle switch tips and used toggle switch nuts. mine were pitted and just wouldn’t look good enough with all the other work done on the dash.

As long as we’re on the subject, a little touch up on the trip odometer looks to be in order too. I’m really good at making more work for others.

Jeez! From what I can visualize w/o trying to disassemble the odometer, it looks like only the leading Zero needs love. Probably because at 42,959 total miles in 49 years, the last 25 sitting idle in a garage, there probably were few trips that ran into triple digit miles, resulting in the leading Zero to sit patiently staring at the sun.
I shall try my 60 year old fine motor skills to see what I can do about it.

Seriously, Thanks Al. Better now than later. These old parts only have so many do-over’s in them.

Better.

Nicely done. I hope the wrap holds up well. The $450 quote I got for new chrome wasn’t really too exciting to think about.

akfordman
Now that warmer weather is here, just wondering how the chrome vinyl wrap is holding up.

Maybe this will be something more like what you are looking for:
https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shopping/cat/colored-patterned-wrap-vinyls/sub/chrome-wrap-vinyl/set/avery-dennison-chrome-conform-accent-film
It’s made for curved accent areas.
Steven

Also my 67 XR7 speedo doesn’t have a red or orange stripe.

I think the stripe on the speedometer should be orange. Gry has a good looking close up of the instrument cluster restoration on her Hertz XR7G: Tail lights flickering - Classic Cougar Maintenance Restoration and Repair - Classic Cougar Community Forum
Steven