Door Lock Issue

I had two set of keys(non matching) for the '67 I recently purchased so the other day curiosity got to me. One square key works on the ignition and the driver door while the other square key works on the passenger door. Simple enough, the passenger door, or at least the lock, has been changed. However, I now have a problem I have never ran into. I locked the driver door, then unlocked it. The knob went down and came back up. I then proceeded to the passenger door with the same result. I thought OK at least the doors will lock if I should ever want to actually lock them. The next day I went out to the car, tried to open the driver door, and…nothing. It wouldn’t open. The knob was in the unlocked position. I went around to the passenger side and had the same results. When I push in on the door handle there is no resistance what-so-ever. Of course the windows were up. For the first time I was actually happy that I have a big hole in the passenger floor pan of a car. I literally lied down on my back, stuck my hand in through the hole, and rolled the passenger side window down. After trying pushing the knob up and down manually a couple of times with no results, I then proceeded to take the arm rest, window crank, and door panel off, reaching through the window with the door still closed. No easy task. Of course, with the window down, I could not reach the lock mechanism, so I then had to crawl in the car simi-ala the Dukes of Hazard (notice I did say crawl–not swing), roll the window back up, and then reaching into the door at the closure itself, was able to open the door. I was never able to get it to come off the locked status though and, without having to take the door panel off, will have to repeat reaching through the hole, rolling the window down, etc. next week when I am able to play with her again. Everything seems to be connected as it should, but I am unable to figure out exactly what is not releasing to unlock the door. Anyone ever run into this or can tell me what I am missing? I like the idea of having anti-theft protection, but this is a little too much. LOL!!!

PS-On a good note: 3 qts of transmission fluid and I have forward and backward movement. Running and moving under her own power!! Not bad for an old girl that sit neglected for +/- 12 years. Next project after the doors is to get brakes and I can actually move her in the garage and start the real fun!!!

I gotta say, reaching up through the floorboard to roll down the window has got to earn you some kind of prize! Well done. As for the problem, I seem to recall that the rod that connects the lock cylinder to the door latch are threaded, so it may be an adjustment is all that’s needed.

If you have the door panel off it is pretty easy to pull the latch out. Unhook the connecting rods and three screws and pull it out. Soak it down good with WD40 and work the latch to make sure it’s all free and functioning correctly. Re-install and check the rod adjustments and you should be good!

There is a design defect in the door lock mechanism. It is covered in the '68 Factory Service Manual. I did a pretty comprehensive post on this in the past.

I think this will get you there… https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/how-to-the-door-on-67-or-68-wont-open/2861/1

Thanks guys! Bill, I really appreciate the link. You are so right about investing in a manual. I had one for my '70’s and definitely have it on my list for this one, for when I really get started on it. I think I saved lock mechanisms from a couple of '69/'70’s doors that I scrapped. Do you know if these are interchangeable with the '67 or even worth the effort? THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLIES!!!
Chuck