Calling all custom Cats! 67-68 Preferred but Callin all cars!

It sounds like a big project you are undertaking. The 69 Mustang or Torino compounds the project even more with glass, sheet metal/body modifications. I know so far my convertible project has been a lot of work and most of the body modifications were completed when I purchased the car. I look forward to following the progress of the build. Do you have a time frame?

You posted in your other thread the quote above. Will the modifications hurt this Cougars sentimental history?

I posted a link to these photo earlier in this thread but you must have missed the link so here are the photos.
Steven

Cougar GTF 1 by Cougar Fastback, on Flickr

Cougar GTF 34 by Cougar Fastback, on Flickr

Cougar GTF 31 by Cougar Fastback, on Flickr

Cougar by Cougar Fastback, on Flickr

Just my .02, but the Torino fastback roof jives with the Cougar’s lines better than the Mustang roof. I say that’s what you should build! As far as mods go, the work involved is somewhat relative. Someone with a high level of skill can do something with less work than someone (such as myself) who is learning and re-learning along the way. Second, the amount of work involved in any mod is proportional to the level of quality desired for the end product. I can say with some certainty that I’ve got far less work in my convertible conversion than many here have put into straight-up restorations simply because I’m comfortable with “driver quality.” So grab a beer and body saw and have at it!

Its a pain to quote on my phone, but “You posted in your other thread the quote above. Will the modifications hurt this Cougars sentimental history?” Not at all. Previous owner loves the idea, unfortunately Mark, the first owner, can’t be asked for his opinion but we hope he looks down and smiles when we’re done.

I’ve always liked some of the body mods that Bud Moore Engineering did to the Cougars when they moved them into the “Baby Grand” series in 1968.

They removed the trim, replaced the grill with some sort of fabricated mesh grill and blacked out the center nose piece. Wouldn’t be surprised if that wasn’t fiberglass like the bumpers. The 'glass front bumper has had the bottom opened up which leads into the opened up (for cooling) front valence that has a small sheet metal spoiler.
NASCARGTArt.jpg

Also S code, I indeed missed the link, thanks for showing the pics. As far as a timeframe, if we don’t do the fastback and just clean it up throw an interior in it and drive it till full frame off per say? About 2-3months. Fastback, paint and bodywork, motor overhaul, rust repair and different interior to fit the theme of the car? Anywhere from 6-8months depending on how soon we get a torino roof. We’ll also have to adapt in the window frames and stuff for said roof.

We, as in both of us, havnt built anything. Thats what the c10 and the cougar are going to represent, our styles and talent. I do have some pics of work that he’s done at work though. However, when i was a toddler when the impala ss’ were popular he found two totaled 96’s, one totaled in the front and one in the back, and grafted them together to make a pristine one. That car really started my love for cars. Im lookin for a 94-96 caprice or impala right now actually for a DD. Anyway here are some pics.
Its a 29 Ford Truck that is a sort of tribute to Ala Kart.

A 57 pro street bel air made of carbon fiber, he crashed into the wall and Dad patched and fixed all of it and matched the airbrush work.
A 40 ford convertible ground up custom, mercedes benz headlights, air ride, Ls1, and custom top and interior. Still waiting to be finished.

A T-Bird my dad’s boss bought. Ended up needing new sheetmetal all the way around. Its an aftermarket frame with wilwood brakes and a 9inch.

Note, Most of the above cars are my dad’s boss’, except for the 57 Pro street. I’ll scour all my camera cards for more pics. These are the ones i within the past few days.

So my dad and I have agreed to do the fastback but that means putting it on hold while I find a DD. So if anyone in Midwest knows of a 94-96 9c1 caprice or impala Ss for under 1500 lemme know :smiley: scourin Craigslist as I post this.

What is a DD? How does the Caprice or Impala figure into the fastback conversion?
Steven

I think he was referring to a Daily Driver.

The caprice/impala will be the “DD” while the FB conversion get’s done, Steven…

Sometimes I’m so close to the forest I can’t see the trees. :laughing: Thanks guys.

Aw, I wanted to make fun of him :slight_smile: just kiddin. But yeah, caprice and impalas make solid drivers. They’re built like tanks, lt1 v8’s, comfy, not terribly expensive, and probably one of the best looking cars of the 90’s, if not the best. Also getting 29mpg on the highway with good power is a plus.

Plus, I grew up around em. We still have a 96wagon with full impala interior, wheels, grill etc when I was little I called it the rocket ship lol it ran 11’s was our daily driver until the shocks blew, ac went out, tire blew out, and was slightly damaged in the right quarter panel when someone at the mall hit it and ran. This all happened in a week so it got set aside and is awaiting its turn.

I would like to get a CV or MGM as a DD again one day.

The CV is the only 4 door that I owned that I really liked.

If you try a caprice or impala ss I’m sure you’d add it to that list :smiley: And Yeah i’d look for a CV but the lack of knowledge on ford motors pushes me to the SBC based Lt1. Lol as i learn and they become more available i might pick one up.

I’ve owned my fair share of Chevy, Pontiac and Buicks. Pontiacs have been the most reliable GM products that I have owned (I want another 68 Firebird one day). As I have aged I have become more open to other makes which is why I bought my first Cougar. (still kick myself for selling her).

Oh well, best of luck with your venture.

Here’s one I haven’t seen before:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kardancreations/14474859815/