Bringing Her Back to Life

Good Morning All,

Well the time has come for my baby to start purring again. My ‘baby’ is a 1969 XR-7 Convertible that has been stored for around 18 years now. It’s been garaged all this time, but has not been started. So, the main question here is now what? The engine is not seized up, it will turn by hand, but I’m not 100% clear on what steps I should take to avoid any unecessary damage. I would like to move the car, but pushing around a 3500LB car is not going to be easy!

I appricate any suggestions anyone can provide.

Thanks,

Trixie

Welcome!

Here is what I do, assuming it was running when parked.

Drain the oil. Change the filter. Fill the new filter up with oil before you spin it back on.

Drain the gas tank. Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump. Use a small one gallon gas can as a temporary fuel supply.

Remove the spark plugs. Put a little Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder through the spark plug hole.

Remove all of the belts. You will replace them with new ones later.

Disconnect the positive wire from the coil. This will keep it from making any kind of spark that could be a problem around any gas leaks.

Remove the carburetor, and rebuild it with a rebuild kit from the local auto parts house.

With the carb off, turn the engine over by hand about 10 revolutions.

Install a new battery. With a remote start switch wired to the solenoid, test to see if the starter will turn over the engine. It should spin it very fast with no spark plugs in it. Let it spin for about 15 to 20 seconds maximum. You can repeat this step, just give the starter time to cool off in between runs. This process is intended to get oil flowing through the engine before the first start. After sitting for a long time, the bearings are dry.

Put in a set of new plugs properly gapped. I also put a new set of spark plug wires and distributor cap and rotor on at the same time. Be sure you wire it right. Reinstall the carb. I use a recycled axle lube bottle with a rubber hose attached to the tip to hold gasoline for priming the carb. You just run the hose to the inlet and let the fuel run out of the bottle into the carb. You only need a half pint or less. Run a short rubber hose from the fuel pump into a a one gallon fuel can that will act as your temporary gas tank.

Make sure that the coil power wire is hooked back up. Turn the ignition keep to the one position, but use the remote starter to turn the engine over. The engine is bone dry and it will need a little extra gas to start the first time. You can pour a little gas down the carb to do this or use some ether. You will need to pump the throttle a few times while it tries to start.

When it starts listen carefully for bad metallic sounds etc. Be prepared for a lot of rust to come out of the exhaust. Watch for leaks, and don’t let it run for long as the water pump is not working with no belt. This is just the first test to see if there are going to be major problems.

WARNING: do not use the gas in the tank, the gas tank or the existing gas lines. They will be lined with shellac from the old gas. The additives in new gas will dissolve the shellac, which is very stick stuff. The shellac will cost the valve stems causing the valves to stick. This leads to major engine damage. I know that your cousin Fred didn’t replace these things and it worked out, but that was back before they started using the high detergent packages in gasoline, like Techron, that can dissolve this stuff so effectively. I have destroyed two engines by failing to follow this advice. Gas tanks are cheap, engines are expensive.

Bill, I think your covered that very well.
Steven

I forgot! Welcome Trixie. Glad to have you here.
Steven

Wow, I didn’t expect such a quick and detailed response. Thanks Much! That was kind of my thinking but not sure of all that might be involved. I’m sure I’ll have some more questions as the task proceeds ahead, rebuilding the carb right now and trying to organize my inventory of parts. I know now that I have found the right forum for getting the answers I need.

FYI-Here are some specifics on the car obtained from the Kevin Marti Report

Color Keyed Floor Mats
White Power Top w/Glass Backlite
FMX Merc-O-Matic Transmission
F70X14 Wide Oval Belted Tires
White Sidewall Tires
Power Side Windows
Console
Power Front Disc Brakes
Power Steering
Tilt-Away Steering Wheel
Speed Control
Air Conditioner - Whisperaire
AM/FM Stereo Radio
Tinted Glass-Complete
Door Edge Guards
Wire Wheel Covers
Heavy Duty Suspension
Front Bumper Guards
Cougar XR-7 Convertible 351W-4V
Burnt Orange Metallic Paint
White Leather Bucket Seats w/ Black Appointments

Sounds like a beautiful car. Speed control was extremely rare in '69. Only 183 XR7 Convertibles came equipped with speed control out of 4024 built.

Yea, she’s a keeper. According to the Marti report, based on the options the car came out with, only 2 had the speed control option of which this is one of those vehicles and was equiped with F70X14 white sidewall tires.

Your article was very informative to me really help to me…
Thanks for your sharing. Thank u so much…

(Actually I am just a worthless spammer.)

Folks, I deleted the link. Just in case I miss one of these please let me know by PM.

Bill B

LMAO…magi111 took the first step to recovery, admitting it.

Welcome aboard, Trixie!

yes, Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart…

hmmm, don’t like spamming after all :laughing:

Welcome Trixie

I could have just eliminated the whole post but… this was more fun.

Good idea!

gave me the opportunity to try it!!!