AOD Conversion

Has anyone converted their FMX out of a 69 Cougar to an AOD? I have some questions on parts needed. First is the slip yoke on the FMX compatible with the AOD if not what slip yoke would be needed to match the drive shaft. Are there driveshaft modifications needed? I am sure the neutral safety and back will wiring will have to be converted but correct me if I am wrong. Is it advisable to purchase the after market cross member that are available? Does the starter need to be changed? Tranny cooler lines??? The reason I am asking all of these questions if that the conversion kits that are out there reference C-4/C-6 but nothing on the FMX, I would hate to order a bunch of parts and end up stuck. If I can gather enough info here I would document the conversion and post it here. Thanks in advance for the help or advice.
Matt

I have to apologize I did a quick search for AOD without looking through the forum I see on the very first page that this question has been posed/suggested twice. I just had an AOD blueprinted (I am told better than any shitf kit)going to pick it up in the next two weeks along with the 408 stroker. I am still interested with any feed back on the questions I posed. If there is enough interest I will document and post the conversion here.

Look at my reply in this thread:

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/transmission-decision/3889/1

Anything not answered let me know.

The AOD is supposed to be longer than the FMX. But the C4 that came out of mine was the exact same length as the AOD I’m putting in. I didn’t look at the slip yoke because I have the yoke for my AOD I was going to stick on the driveshaft that came out. As far as shifter goes, it would need replaced since the AOD will have a different positioning with the shifter for the manual 1st gear position. Just looking at mine, the cross members are the easiest and simplest way to go. Trans lines may need to be extended, but they are same side and position on mine. Are you going to run a true automatic or manual valve bodies??

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

short AOD, FMX and C-4 are all 30 1/8"

One thing I forgot to mention in the other post was about the shifter on the AOD. The only one that is close to being right is the 89 T-brid AOD. I think the number is E9SZ-a stamped on the side. Back when I was doing AOD swaps more often I made a jig to be able to modify shift levers for the correct geometry.

Keep the Cougar shifter in your Cougar, it isn’t the problem. There must be 10 different shift levers for the AOD depending on year and which vehicle it came in.

From the FMX, one line will work. The other needs to be cut and a piece of 5/16 brake line bent properly to fit using a brass compression union to connect.

AOD and C-4 both have 28 spline slip yokes. The C-4’s that I’ve seen in the Cougar have always had an extra long slip yoke. Some AOD’s did come with a tailshaft that was splined the full length, most did not. C-6 and FMX both have 31 spline slip yokes.

With the FMX, you don’t need a new flex plate or starter. Before you order parts, let me know. Some magazines or other establishments say you need a bunch of swap parts. Some you don’t. Back when I did my first AOD swap they said you have to buy a flexplate which must have the E0AZ-A part number. This was hogwash. You’ll find no difference from your FMX plate. The E0AZ-A plate was 80 bucks from the Ford dealer. It was annoying as I was working for a low wage and rolling around on my back in my parents driveway trying to do this work. I certainly didn’t need to buy things that weren’t needed. It sounds like you also don’t want to buy things you don’t need.

As far as flex plate goes though; it would matter if the motor was internally balanced would it not?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That would explain why mine is the same length then. Lol

It sure would. Both the 302 and the 351 are externally balanced in stock form. What I was getting at was the AOD and FMX use the same flexplate. In tooth count, diameter, bolt circle and offset. The balance weight will be matched to which ever engine. So, if an FMX came out the flexplate will not need to be changed to install an AOD.

I like transmission related questions, I have some experience with transmissions.

Ok. I was just making sure. When I get my 427 stroker together that is good info to have… It will be internally balanced.