Anyone ever use chrome paint?

Never seen chrome paint that is worth spraying anything you actually want to look good.

I am in the same boat. My cluster was repainted black by the previous owner due the original chrome being baked off in the sun. It was not done very well so I am redoing it along with cleaning and repainting the rest of the gauges that need it. I am either going to respray it Trim black or Argent silver and call it good. Wont look as good as the original chrome but until there is another affordable option to rechrome it the right way painting it should work good.

Best I could ever get was bright shiny silver that turned flat dull upon polishing.

Model car builders use this stuff called bare metal foil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAunw7ZVG1k

As a model car builder, the foil is better than paint, but not near as shinny as chrome and has no sticky back.

That product looks very tedious and with no sticky backing I’d question how well it would hold up on a dash cluster. Some other member used chrome vinyl sign wrap. It looked pretty good.

Steven

Check this link: https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/expert-opinions-solicited/6773/1

Has anybody tried the hydro dip? A quick search says it can be applied to plastic.

Shoot dang…that vinyl looks pretty solid

Cheap solution, and from what I’ve read by frantically googling. A very durable option.

This stuff looks fantastic in the video… though there must be a catch otherwise everyone would be using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY0iNcApC8s

That alsa chrome is pretty cool stuff, got a buddy who used some. It’s super expensive, that’s the caveat.

I’ve used this on model cars. While it’s perfect for mimicking chrome trim on plastic models it won’t work for what we are talking about on the instrument clusters with no backing and very delicate to use. It would not hold up to a real world application in a vehicle

That’s what I was thinking.
Steven

I don’t think the product shown in the video is Bare Metal Foil brand. Real Bare Metal Foil has a thinner backing and includes an adhesive to stick the foil to whatever surface it is applied.

For small areas you can use Molotow Chrome markers. A very bright shiny chrome finish with this product. You can get pens in three sizes and a refill bottle that can be poured into an airbrush and sprayed.

After reading the thread on the chrome vinyl wrap I think that is the ticket. While tedious by nature the pictures show a nice end result and a good alternative to the re chroming process. I am tempted to try this on mine but I think Ill stick with paint for now since I had to make a couple repairs to the plastic. I think I ll try and find a good used one and wrap that at some point.

After reading the thread on the chrome vinyl wrap I think that is the ticket. While tedious by nature the pictures show a nice end result and a good alternative to the re chroming process. I am tempted to try this on mine but I think Ill stick with paint for now since I had to make a couple repairs to the plastic. I think I ll try and find a good used one and wrap that at some point.

Sfhess, could you post a link to the markers your referring to. Also the vinyl sign wrap, what are we talking about with that? Is that similar to the stuff you can buy at the parts store for chroming strips down your car or truck? I bought some of that to try, and couldn’t get it to contour at all. Maybe didn’t get the best brand. Have also used the aluminum tape used for insulating duct work. It will actually polish up to a pretty nice shine, but it is bare aluminum.
Also what’s a good source for the mylar? Thought I read a post on here about it coming in a paint form also?

Sfhess, could you post a link to the markers your referring to. Also the vinyl sign wrap, what are we talking about with that? Is that similar to the stuff you can buy at the parts store for chroming strips down your car or truck? I bought some of that to try, and couldn’t get it to contour at all. Maybe didn’t get the best brand. Have also used the aluminum tape used for insulating duct work. It will actually polish up to a pretty nice shine, but it is bare aluminum.
Also what’s a good source for the mylar? Thought I read a post on here about it coming in a paint form also? I’ve got a couple areas I want to do and don’t want to pay for rechrome. One is my 6.5 fender badges. They aren’t bad, but have a couple of pits that if I could just drop some paint into and refresh the black they would pass.

Molotow pens are available through Amazon, craft stores like Michaels or local hobby shops.