A few random 67 S-code questions

Thanks again to all. This forum is proving to be helpful in searching past posts, and the advice I have been given so far.
I had some random questions that I wanted to ask so I thought I would just start a thread for them. I am sure some of them may have been asked before, and I apologize for asking them again. Perhaps someone could point me specifically to where answers for them may be posted already. I tried typing in some specific search words, but have not found specifically what I have been looking for so far.

1. Need to put my front end (headlight buckets/grill) back together. Wondering about paint colors on things. I mean I know it’s blacks, but gloss or semi-gloss, or maybe a satin. I think I read somewhere satin, but the headlight buckets were a gloss black.
  2. Similar question; ho to get paint to stick to the chrome pieces on the grill, and the taillights as well as other places where chrome is blacked out. Any tips and tricks on this anywhere. I did one of my taillights years ago. Scuffed it up with steel wool and cleaned it, and the paint is all peeling off again, and I have not even driven the car yet. I did read that there is an argent color on the insides of those ribs hadn’t noticed that before. Anyway tips and tricks on freshening up paint on chrome.
  3. Car has been apart a long time. Trying to find info on where to run the new speedometer cable. I got the cable and the two clips. The clips are marked one for the cross member, and one for the fire wall. I am not seeing where they should go :slight_smile: I have a 4-speed car FYI. The clip for the cross member is coated and has a compression (spring retainer I’ll call it) so it just pushes into a hole. The other clip is plain metal and screws on somewhere. I looked in my shop manual, but don’t see it. It is probably in the chassis assembly manual by which I don’t have. I just have the body one.
  4. Another transmission question. Again I have the toploader 4-speed. The car came with the Hurst Competition shifter though (not sure when, or who put it in). Also has a center console. I have never seen the interior in my car as a whole. In fact I didn’t get but scarce remnants of the center console when I bought the car, (and I mean scarce)
    So the question is what gets used for a shift boot in this case? The ones I have seen for a 4-speed car all have the round hole rather than the rectangular one. The Hurst ones I have found so far at swap meets and such, dimension wise won’t fit inside the console top plate. Anyone have ideas?
    5)Another question about the topic. What gets used for a reverse light switch with the Hurst shifter. I bought the 4-speed one from WCC, but not sure where it is to bolt up to. The Hurst shifter appears to just have a flat plate that bolts to the back of it with a hole in it. Looks like a plunger style switch went there, and was engaged by the adjustable rod that goes from the shifter lever to the transmission lever.

I am sure I will come up with other random questions as I keep assembling. I ended up putting this project down for a number of years. I was a little younger and less wise those years ago, and didn’t make notes or document as much as I should have. Not to mention, I bought a car and hauled the bulk of it home on a trailer, and a lot of parts in the bed of my pick-up :slight_smile:
Regards,
David

1. SEM Trim Black - comes in rattle cans and sprays on nice.
  2. Chrome needs to be sanded to get paint to stick. Self etching primer will help too.

What year is your Cougar?

#1) I agree with Al - SEM Trim black for the grille. I don’t believe it should be used on the headlight buckets and related parts though.

#3, 4 & 5) …I have the info for '70, but not sure what year you have :frowning:

Oh yeah. Kinda stupid of me to not put the year down. In is a 67 S-code Lime Frost with Ivy interior

I used SEM trim black and self etching primer on my 67 S code as well as my 68. Here is a link to the headlight topic. https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/67-68-grille-painting-options/5021/1

Steven

Thanks for the input so far. The link to Gry’s restoration is great. He did an awesome job on his grill, and it was clearly time consuming. I personally like the argent and the black rather than all black. I was cleaning on my argent with some 000 steel wool today. some of it cleaned up real nice, and it is a flat color anyway correct? Could probably get by with just doing the black. What is the correct Argent color in case I want to or need to fix up some of it?
Looking at Gry’s thread it brings up another question. Are the fenders suppose to be blacked out like they are behind the grill work. It makes sense if they are, otherwise I guess you would see body color behind the grill.
I also thought of another random question today driving down the road.
I ordered windlace for my car. It is the light ivy color that matches the headliner, sun-visors, and kick panels. My door panels and seats have the darker green inlays. I had my black dash pad colored dark green, and have a dark green carpet set. Don R. said the 67 scheme was one of two ways in 67 with the Ivy interior. It would either have a black carpet and dash pad or the dark green. I went with the dark green. My seat belts are dark green also, and came with the car.
So anyway, I have a padded windlace set that I got with the car. It is black though. I thought they only used the padded stuff with the XR7 models. Or was it with the deluxe interior? Also then what color should the package tray be?
David

Argent is a satin finish. It’s called wait for it - Argent.

If you want to mimic someone’s work Gry is an excellent choice. Most of us mortals can only wish we were that good.

Gry’s XR7G shows a lot of detail. She did some awesome work on her Hertz G restoration.
Steven

For the back-up light switch, you need this: http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13653-Factory-Hurst-Shifter-Backup-Light-Switch-Economy-Repro-1970-1973-Mercury-Cougar-Ford-Mustang.html
and this: http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/d0zz-15541.html
And maybe this: http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/70-bu-4.html

Thanks for the reply on the 4 speed switch. Any ideas as to a shift boot?
Also came up with another question over the weekend as I was trying to see if my 8-track worked. I was bench testing it, and it doesn’t seem to have hardly any volume. The volume shaft seems to have some play in it. I assume that there is balance on there as well.
The 8-track heads and stuff are quite dirty inside. Anyone know where you can send these things for refurbishing, and about what it will cost?
David

So I got all questions except 3 and 4 answered above if anyone can help.
I also came up with a couple new ones. I am going to work cleaning up my drip rail trim. Is the narrow flat edge to the inside of the door jamb suppose to be a satin black? When I got the pieces out to clean them up the first one has some faint black on it and I thought maybe it was some kind of over spray from a bad paint job somewhere along the line. Got the second piece out, and it has more apparent black on it the whole length of the piece.
Considering what to do for wheels. So while I was getting trim out I looked at the Dan Gurney hubcaps I have. I kind like the look of them. The car has some like 69 or 70 steel wheels on it now with chrome trim rings and the GT dog dish center caps. Don’t care for the look of those. I bought them as a set at a swap meet one time so I tried them. So I cleaned up one of the Dan Gurney hub caps and they appear to have three colors of paint over chrome. Satin black every other “indent” Argent on the others. Satin black around the circumference in the recesses (big and small center) Also look to have another color too them though like a different color silver around the center leading to the indents. Or is that just “road rash”? It kinda fades into the Argent and the black in the indents, so I am thinking road rash. Almost looks like sandblasting.
So questions 3 and 4 and two new questions on drip rail trim, and hubcaps.
Thanks!
David

When assembling a basket case you really need all of the assembly manuals. Correct information is always better than what well meaning people THINK about how something goes together. Those manuals are worth their weight in gold. There is hole in the firewall and a hole in the cross member that the clips attache to but with out an illustration it is pretty close to impossible to tell you more.

Your best shot on the shift boot is to try to modify the factory piece. When you add aftermarket parts half the fun is figuring out how to make it work. You might see if the boot for the Hurst shifter that was used int he '70 will work. Once you figure it out shoot pictures and post it so others will be able to see what you did. I have also seen people just make up leather shift boots as a solution.

On the other two questions you need to post some pictures. I have no idea what you are refereeing to.