69 Convertible Retro-mod in South Australia

Hi all

Long time lurker on this forum whilst tracking down a Cougar… now that she has landed, I thought I would introduce myself.

My name is John, and I live in the Adelaide Hills.

This is a 69 standard, fairly heavily molested, but modified in the old Street Machine style.

I am hoping that some of the OZ members may know of and have some history on the car. Last 8-10 years in Vic, Mod plated in the 90’s for RHD in Queensland, may have been yellow.

I got the car from interstate, it arrived last Monday, super excited, got to wash her on the weekend. First time using this photo method (obviously) so I hope I don’t fluff it.

Note steering wheel is on the correct side, the xr7 tach amongst standard gauges bothers me a bit…the Crystal ball says I will be emailing Don in my future (not that there is any money left right now :unamused: )

Funny thing is, in SA you can bring in an American Muscle Car in with 400+ cubic inches and drum brakes that has been driven on salt and put it on Club plates and drive it around with the steering wheel in front of the passenger… But a car properly engineered and upgraded to discs for RHD conversion… nope, so I am going to have to get her legal and re-certified in SA…to then put it on club plates… go figure

and finally the stroker…

million dollar question, will the eliminator scoop clear the air-cleaner?

She is an old Street Machine build, with some Australian shortcuts (eg Mustang seats and covers, hornet scoop, etc) so never to be concourse… I just want a bit of a street rod to DRIVE that will make people smile (especially the kids, the missus, and moi!)

Cheers

John

Nice Ride… I wouldn’t worry too much about Mustang parts because it’s 90% mustang already. You mentioned the salt… you have familiarity with the DLRA? a hearty group…

Leon Bray here will know of it. I like it! Looks like a clean RH conversion. Chrome the bumpers and leave it be I say. Welcome!

I don’t remember the car specifically. It looks like it has been updated recently.

Was the conversion done by Probe Engineering or John White? Not many people changed the sweep of the wipers. I think I know where the wheels came from.

Thanks Mike(?)

Just a reference to the fact that big engined cars from the US with drum brakes and rusted out bodies (from winter salt) are easier to get put on Club Rego, than a properly engineered interstate mod plate car… (just frustrated I cant drive it yet) :unamused:

Thanks Don…

I guess not growing up around these cars early, the coloured bumpers don’t offend me… In fact as a kid I became “car aware” as the Falcon XC Cobras were on forecourts in OZ. These had painted bumpers that made them look more modern than previous silver bumper coupes.

Having said that, as a child I walked to school past a black Landau that blew my mind. An Aussie Ford Landau is a luxury version of a Falcon GT coupe, with hideaway headlights… in a similar way that a Cougar is (kinda) like a luxury Mustang with hideaway headlights…

And that is kinda why I always wanted a cougar over a mustang… because Landau…

When I get a moment I will get into the car a bit more… there are some little issues (including the glue in glass :wall: )

Thanks Leon, I was hoping you would drop by.

Conversion done in 97 , Mod-plate says Mod by Mr C Johnston with the A/Officer MA770.

I have ordered a Marti… Car was Originally red , but may have been yellow at some stage…

Many thanks

John

Hi All

I got the Marti Report… I really wish it still had the console and the original cougar seats… the mustang ones that are in it are actually really nice, but I prefer the low back + headrest… I really wish it had the original console in it

As for my post about bumpers… It may be best I explain it with pictures… I don’t mind the bumpers because my (Australian) eyes are not used to painted bumpers being wrong… particularly as the Cobra had arrived as I became aware of cars… this is a Cobra

However, this is a Landau and a Landau with painted bumpers horrifies me (so I get your point)

These are Landaus with chrome bumpers

That Cobra is pretty sweet.

Landaus look like Torinos sold here.

Landaus were based on Torinos. Ford Australia imported two for evaluation.

The initial run of Landaus had running cats on the rim blow steering wheel before switching to LTD crest

I have been looking forward to getting into it, but, between FIFO and spending the weekend cutting the grass and doing other chores…

Finally got to work on the car, I saw a fairly large leak out of the left-hand bank rocker cover… so off to the speed shop for a set of rocker cover gaskets and non-metric hex keys.

The SHCS were completely loose! not sure if they worked loose or a new gasket was put on and they were never tightened… so I nipped them up and we will see. A shot of degreaser on the motor and gave it a long idle to see if I can generate some more leaks.

Unfortunately, I am going to have to get the car fully engineered, get the car through an “Identification Check”, then get the car through a full pit inspection (so that means no leaks) I think I have addressed the brown leak, but I will have to also track down the little pink piddle (out of the FMX).

I realised the old cars I used to work on (back in the day) pre-date my wife… I got a funny look from her as I came back from the Garage doing up my belt… she saw me undoing it going the other way as I told her “I was going to work on the Cougar” :unamused: … i then explained I take my belt off so if the towel I use to protect the duco slips off I don’t mark the fender with the buckle …

Hi, We are in Adelaide. Saw another gold 69 convertible on Tapleys Hill rd, the other week. A new build… The chap was having problems with his 390. Amazing to find another gold 69 convertible in Adelaide too…we thought only Leon and Bill had all the convertibles. :). We have some original 69 Cougar buckets seats with headrest we are selling. Looking for 500$ the pair. need recover kit. If you are interested.

1 Like

Hi , is it Daniel?

Cheers, thanks.

What do Cougar do you have?

I am not in a position to revert the seats to Cougar plus get new covers when it has perfectly good Mustang Decore buckets… too much elsewhere wishlist to get through first.

If you have white front door cards though….

The thing with this car is that the person that would be interested in it would be a Street Machine build fan, in it for the engine and the vibe. Someone after a concourse Cougar would wouldn’t be into it.

It is a Candy Orange though, not gold I have been driving it as much as I can in the five days it hasn’t been raining!

Freezing cold , need to hook up the heater…

Yes, I understand about the seats.
And Yes, we do have a set of 1970 Cougar front door cards.
They are in good condition for 50 years old. currently black, you can redye them. We want $350- the pair…would cost you 600+ to bring some over from the US. can send photos. Send me your contact email, and ill send photos through.