68 cougar xr7g hood pin installation specs

I’m going to install hood pins on my 67 cougar. I would like them to be at least in the same location as the 68 xr7g. I believe i read that to the center of the pin hole the distance is 2-3/8" in from the side edge of the hood. is this the correct location? I would also like to know how the underside of the hood was cut, drilled and prepared? was the original hood pin kit all stainless steel? what is the diameter of the pin plate? was the pin plate attached by adhesive or screws? thanks, john

On my G the holes are 2 1/4" from the edge of the hood. The holes are 1 1/8" diameter and are drilled straight through all layers of the hood. The hardware appears to be all stainless. The pin plate is 2" with a 1/2" hole and is attached with glue.

Mike

Mike, thanks for your input. The 2-1/4" is that to the center of the pin hole? That 1-1/4" cut thru the hood layers sounds scary, but I quess they had their reasons for such a large cut. What is the correct pin length? I know no one makes a repro hood pin kit, so I,m going to piece meal together what I need. Thanks again, john

Yes, 2 1/4" from the edge of the hood to the center of the hole.

The holes are 1 1/8" diameter not 1 1/4". I would guess this was done to simplify installation. The hood will have a lot of movement to get it aligned. Then the plates are installed over the pins, and glued to the hood in perfect position covering the large hole.

The pins are 4".

There is a guy that makes a very good G hood pin kit. He sells them on E-Bay every once in a while. They are very good reproductions and I would definitely buy a set from him if I needed a set. I will look an E-Bay and see if I can come up with anything for you.

Mike thanks again for your specs input, detail is important to me even though this is not a G car.

Scott if you come up with a contact, could you e-mail me at johnsue79@aol.com. Thanks, john

Here are the photos and measurements that I have of my brothers Lime Frost G. 2 3/8 from the inside of the fender lip and 5/8 in from the firewall/engine compartment wall to the center of the hood pin.

I hope these pictures help and give you a good point of reference.
Steven

Glad to help.

Be careful if you use the measurement provided by 1967 S Code above. the 2 3/8" from the fender sounds good but remember that the fender position is adjustable. You want to use measurements from fixed positions.

between the good advice and pictures, I got it.
My very first car in 1974 was a triple black 67 cougar. Last year I bought a really nice 67 triple black DGS cougar, 289 / 3 speed. I did some mods in 1974 that I regretted, of course the wrong type hood pins installed in the wrong location is one of those regrets I,m not going to make again. I really like the classic look of hood pins and as nice as this car is I really have to install them. Thank you all for your input. John

Not to try and tell you what to do with your car, but cutting holes in a good '67/8 hood would be a regret for some of us.

A regret to some but not to all.

There was an episode of either Overhaulin or All Girls Garage where they added hood pins, I forget which show but it was definitely a Jessi show. The procedure involved installing the hood pins first, then putting some grease on the top of the pin and closing the hood on it, thus marking the pin location-- then drilling the two holes through the two layers of hood metal in slightly different locations, one was shifted slightly, I wanna say it had something to do with the way the hood rotates into position.

I saved the episode since if all goes well I’ll be drilling holes for hood pins this summer. When I was asking about this a year or two back, just about everyone told me to think real hard before essentially ruining my grade-A hood. It’ll be wrapped up and stored in perfect shape, the donor hood will be the one getting mauled.

I think what he was trying to tell you is that a grade A hood with no holes is worth about $850 or more. The same hood with hood pins is worth maybe $200. If you have a really good hood and you want to do hood pins and a hood scoop at some future time, you ought to buy a hood with the holes in it, sell yours and pocket the difference. I have nothing against hood pins, just what to make sure you understand the $$.

Good point. Correct on the fender measurement and the fender being movable. The fixed position is the 5/8 from the engine compartment/firewall. Use the picture with the tape measure as a guide. The 3" mark is the starting point for the 5/8 measurement. I also agree with the others that have brought up the point about a grade A hood being drilled. Just make the choice with all of the information and do what works best for you.
Steven

I imagine that you are thinking of Sean in CT. I probably have his contact info somewhere, just do not know where. You could call Ken Gucker and I know that he will have Sean’s number. Ken’s number is 2 zero 3 733 4400.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I get it. As much as I like stock, I sometimes like that personal touch. As nice as this car is and as beautiful as a 67 cougar hood is, the correctly placed set of pins will only enhance that look, of course that’s only my opinion. If I was in this business to make money I would think twice, but I,m not, however, i understand your thouhts and advice and respect your comments. John

We like hood pins too. At least I do, I can’t really speak for the other guys. But I think you still misunderstood. It’s not about the money. Speaking as someone who has 3 hoods that were previously cut up, it makes me cringe to think someone is going to cut yet another nice hood. I have managed to find 2 replacements, 1 that’s nice and 1 that will work if it has to. At some point there just isn’t going to be any left.

Actually, the guy reproducing the G hood pin kit is Jeff and his e-mail is mechcgr@hotmail.com .
Good luck with your project.

Scott, thank you, I will contact him. John