67-73 Cougar Sequential Turn Signal Trouble Shooting Thread

Tried all those things, installed the new controller board and still a bad result,
I am guessing my turn signal switch is broken so just ordered that new also…when this is installed the car is 99% new parts so probably look at it positive…

What ended up being the solution?

Had some help from vic yarberry and everything is working perfect now.
Many thanks to him for beeing so helpfull!

I’ve taken a swim through this thread and read the trouble shooting guide but haven’t seen my exact problem:

1970 cougar with standard bulbs.
Digital flasher and hazard flasher (the ones for standard bulbs)
Digital sequencer in the trunk (the one for standard bulbs)

Everything works - brakes both with and w/o headlights, turn signals, both with and w/o headlights. Hazards too.

Except - If I apply the brakes and either left or right turn signal (every thing working fine) and then manually disengage the turn signal at the stalk, only the inboard bulb re-illuminates as a brake light on the side that was sequencing.

If I release and re-apply the brakes, all bulbs illuminate. Occasionally, the outer two bulbs on that side will illuminate after a 1-2 second pause without releasing and re-applying the brakes.

Thoughts?

EDIT: This turned out to be an issue with the older version of Vic’s sequencer board I had in my car (likely 20 yrs old at least) and he was able to quickly diagnose it and recommend I upgrade to the latest version of the sequencer board.

I believe that you have an older version of the sequential controller - prior to 2012.
From the symptoms described, the turn signal override section of the controller is not working incorrectly.

On older versions, there is about a 1 sec delay between when the turn signal is turned off and the outer two brake lights turn back on. This delay keeps the sequencer from switching into brake light mode during the flasher “OFF” period while the brake lights were on.

If you send me your controller, I’ll test and correct the problem.

Thank you sir! It will be on the way to you shortly.

It’s boxed up and will go out tomorrow. I noticed it has a 1994 date next to your logo. Not sure if that’s when made or just the design date.

That version was produced until 2003.

Just spent a couple hours reading this post, but never found an answer. I have a 68 GT. No dash installed.

Stop lights work
Tail lights ( lights on work)
Emergency flashers work ( front and rear)
New turn signal switch (tested by Tony Augestine). Checked pin outs three times.
Changed to Solid State unit

Issue: only front and center rear light blink in either right or left turn mode.

Need ideas on only why rear center lights blinks.

Thanks,
Charlie

The system is operating in emergency flasher mode (center rear light only).

On replacement sequential systems: Verify that the single blue wire from the sequential controller
is plugged into the 5-pin emergency flasher relay socket blue wire pin, with original relay removed.
On original systems with original parts, this may be due to a bad emergency flasher relay.

Verify that the blue wire has 12V with the key on.
This wire must have 12V to operate in normal turn signal mode,
0V causes it to operate in emergency flasher mode.

This signal is provided by the turn signal switch red wire.
Verify that the turn signal switch connector is wired correctly.
Refer to the diagram on my website:
http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/1967-68_TS_Connectors.PDF

Thanks. No 12v on blue wire. Will clean the turn signal switch connector pins tomorrow and report back.

Suggestions for cleaning pins? I think that when the floor pans were sealed the turn signal connects were not together and overspray got on the pins. What would be the best path to clean them?

Big shout out to Vic Yarberry for not giving up on me. We traded emails today. Started tracing wires. Blue wire has power at column but nothing in trunk. The issue was the wires that run through the door sill got cut somehow. Spliced / soldered / shrink wrapped and put it back together. Done!!

I have a 1967 Base GT. All the exterior light bulbs are incandescent and I have installed the solid state sequencer for the signal lights. The problem I have is the right side (passenger) signals only light the upper filament of the 1157 bulb and are therefore dull. The right side signals do sequence as they should. The right side brake lights are dull as well. The left side signals light the lower filament in each bulb and are therefore much brighter. Any idea how to get the right side signal and brake bulbs brighter? The rest of the lights work as they should. Thank you for your help. Harry

It sounds like the 1157 bulbs in the right side sockets may not be indexed correctly.
Are they installed into original style sockets?
It is possible for the contacts to be rotated 180 deg inside the aftermarket replacement 1157 sockets.
Start by inspecting the right side sockets and comparing the connections to the left side sockets.

The right side and left side sockets look the same and also look stock. The right side sockets each have one orange and one black wire and the left side sockets each have one green and one black wire. I can get the right side lights to illuminate the lower filament by touching the side of the socket to the light fixture, but not when the socket is seated in the fixture. I also noticed I could get the right side signals to illuminate the lower filaments with the fixture out of the car, sitting in the trunk with a temporary ground wire from the ground screw on the gas tank filler frame to the light fixture. Switched bulb from left side to right side - worked in left side correctly and dim on the right side and visa versa.

AltaCat wrote: “I can get the right side lights to illuminate the lower filament by touching the side of the socket to the light fixture, but not when the socket is seated in the fixture.”

This observation may indicate a ground problem.
Has the inside of right bezel been painted or is oxidized?
This might be insulating the bezel from the socket causing the high intensity filament find a ground through the low intensity filament.
Try using steel wool to clean the inside of the bezel opening.

The light fixture has not been painted and I cleaned both the light fixture and the paint from the body where the light fixture attaches. One thing I have noticed; with the signal light switched on - when a bulb is removed from the fixture on either side, the upper filament glows slightly without any ground. Once grounded with the signal light switched on, both sides illuminate the lower filament. I did try the original motor/relay sequencer and the right signal and brake lights are not as bright as the left, which is the same as with the solid state sequencer. Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

Tons of great info in this thread, so glad so many are willing to share knowledge and help troubleshoot. Hopefully you guys can help me, too.

I have a '69 Cougar. When my friend pulled it out of a barn 5-6 years ago he tried the turn signals out of curiosity and found that the sequential taillights worked. He then disassembled everything and gave it to me.

Here’s what I’ve done:

I’ve put most of it back together now but cannot get the sequential system to work. I have 6 new 1157 bulbs in back, 2 new 1156 bulbs up front.

When I turn on the headlights, I get six (dim) bulbs in back, so I believe the taillight housing grounds are good(ish).

At this point when I signaled in either direction, the front light, dash light and the innermost taillight for that direction would stay on steady.

At this point, unrelated to this troubleshooting effort, I replaced the gauge lighting with LEDs.

When I activated the emergency flasher, the dash lights, front lights, and innermost taillights would flash bright.

I found the turn signal flasher, it was red and labeled “Sequential trigger, 429, 4 lamps, Autolite C9WB13350-A”. I replaced that with a generic electronic flasher I had on hand and found that now the dash lights, front lights, and innermost rear lights flash per the correct side, but no sequencing and nothing from the center or outer taillights.

I then replaced that flasher with this “LL552” flasher that was in stock at the local Autozone. Same results - turn signals flash on front, dash, and inner, but no center or outer.

When I press the brake pedal, only the innermost brake lights light up.

At this point I’d suspect the sequencing box, but since it worked just a few years ago I’d be surprised if it failed.

One recommendation from this thread that I haven’t had the chance to try yet is checking the steady input voltage at the sequencer box. The red plug is seized together pretty well and I’m having trouble disconnecting it without damaging anything. I can see voltage on the Green-White and White-Blue wires while the signals are flashing, but my meter doesn’t have time to register full voltage before it flashes back off.

Perhaps I’ll try it with the car running to see if more voltage helps. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

First, the front bulbs should be 1157A not 1156. Correct this first!

Also, a 552 flashes too fast and may not allow enough time for the 2nd and 3rd bulbs to turn on.

However, since only the inner most bulb on each side is turning on in brake light mode, it points to a bad sequential controller/connector.