67 68 low back seats are a pain in my..... BACK!

Hi Ya’All,
Here is my problem:
The fully restored low back seats in the 67 are killing my back on long trips. I am 6’2 and after a couple of hours behind the wheel I find myself wishing I had taken the RAM on the road trip instead of the hot rod. So while perusing CL I find the “Mercury-ish” seats below. Pretty cool high backs with single post headrests, map pockets, tilt and recline! Can anyone identify these seats so I can try and buy covers rather than pay upholstery shop rates? The fabric pattern looks Ford but who knows.

Cant answer that question, and don’t know your pocketbook expectations nor your desire to stay reasonably period correct, but have seen some members rides with some very nicely updated (look super comfortable) seats installed in their cats. :smoke:

Thanks for the reply Cats. I have seen some aftermarket seats that don’t look too bad but I thought that if I dumped the map pockets and grab handles, recovered in a 67-ish tuck n roll similar to stock these would blend nicely with the theme of the car.

I find my 69/70 high back Eliminator bucket seats very comfortable for long distances. I have them in my 68.

I agree Ove50. Most manufactures went to a much more ergonomic design after 68. Although it may be a challenge to talk an Eliminator owner out of his/her seats! :laughing:

The seats look like Granada/Monarch seats. I’m not sure how much work they would be to install. I know early 90s seats from a Mustang are fairly easy to make fit using the early seat tracks.

Don’t know about the seats but a nice looking bike in the background.

Where’s that XR7-G that had reupholstered Porsche seats in it? That looked super comfortable. Of course that’s not a cheap route to go.

Thanks Badcatt.

Thanks Draftman57.
It is a 72 Daytona 500. 100% original bike down to the tires. I bought it as a project but cant seem to find the time. I would sell it of anyone is interested! :mrgreen:
72 Triumph.jpg

I had a set out of a Thunderbird Turbo coupe that pretty much bolted to the 68 Cougar seat pan holes. Had to modify the seat track some and that was it. They never looked right in the Cougar mainly because I didn’t recover them to match the rest of the interior. Just make sure you have a plan to tie them in good with the rest of the interior. Jody did a good job of that on his 68 conv. You can see some pictures of it on this thread: https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/copycatvert/311/1

I used to have the same problem with the stock seats in my 68 XR7. Just for an experiment, I put spacers under the front mounts to tilt them back a little bit and it made a world of difference. I’m 6’3" and had no problem driving my car on several Hot Rod Power Tours logging 3-400 miles a day for a week straight after doing that.

I think Bill Brasore owns it.

My Porsche 911 seats were only $500. Haven’t put them in yet as I’m happy with my Nissan S13 seats in the 69. 70 XR7 seats are pretty comfortable

That XR7 G belong to Art Hopkins and he did the interior. Sold to Bill Basore than sold again and I don’t know where it is at now. Maybe Bill or Royce knows where it is at. Here is a picture, but I don’t have one of the interior. I think their was a Cat snap article done on it, but can’t seem to find it.
natw14[1].jpg

The Hopkins G was returned to completely stock by me, including removal of the Porsche seats. Once it was returned to stock, it was sold to a Canadian and then resold again in Canada. I have not heard the name of the most recent owner. The Porsche seats were in need of attention, the dye was beginning to crack. We used acetone to strip the dye and then put on new dye in Dark Ivy Gold (very dark green) to match the interior of the '67 XR-7 GT 4 speed. I like the seats a lot and we put a ton of effort into the color change, but the side bolsters do make it a little harder to get in and out of the car.