1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator Reduced to $35,000.00

After hours of researching the replacement engine ( DIOE 6015 AA).it seems that the block is of a standard 302 so we are reducing the price to $38,000.00US

Carburetor cleaned and adjusted plus major engine tune up this summer.
Engine was replaced by a factory authorized shop within the first 1000 miles due to a knocking .

This Eliminator is part of a collection that is being sold in upstate New York. The elderly owner was meticulous with his cars and they are well stored and low mileage. The car may be viewed at any time. The Marti Report is available upon request. Clear title. Insured registered and inspected.

VIN 0F91G517011
2 door hardtop
Grabber Blue/Black Vinyl
Mileage 41,063

One owner with Marti report. 302 Eliminator package console, power brakes (disc front drum rear). Power steering. AM/FM radio tinted glass and Deluxe belts / Morning Light. Aftermarket Ford five spoke 15 inch wheels no Winters and very little rain. Well stored.
Engine / engine compartment:
Starts runs and drives well. Pollution equipment is missing. Non-authentic radiator cap, clamps. Exedra. But all major components are authentic. Never detailed under hood so original markings but dirty from 40,000 miles of use.
Chassis:
Solid and Rust free underneath. Owner indicates recent new clutch non-authentic 5 spoke chrome wheels with some pitting with Goodyear polyglas GT G70 x 15 white letter tires with very good tread. Newer dual exhaust with dual tips in good condition. Power steering and brakes.
Interior:
Overall interior is very authentic and decent. It needs detailing in the driver’s seat has a split seam. All gauges except clock work. Working radio. Scuffs on package shelf and side bolsters. All Glass is very good. Good door panels, dash pad and console.
Exterior:
Paint looks good and has a very good solid body but it has a few issues. Spoiler was keyed by someone and has not been prepared. Stripes are showing some 15 and some Chrome is pitted. Rest of chrome is good. Scuff on left rear quarter and small dings in hood and trunk trim.
IMG_1437.jpg
IMG_1458.jpg
IMG_4170.JPG

Price?

VIN 0F91B517011 I think it is VIN 0F91G517011

The most recent Craigslist ad has it at $65k.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/5931185855.html

0F91G517011

Rev limiter is missing in the pics, but not mentioned in the ad.
Heater core appears to be bypassed.

Sorry I thought I put the price in the ad. It is $65,000.00 Thanks for your posts. Will check with the owner on the Rev limiter and what the deal is with the heater core. Also typo on the VIN it is G.

Thanks for the response Cargirl!

This one has been listed off and on for a few years now, so I think many of us here are aware of the car. I’ve heard feedback from several people who have found the seller to be… difficult to work with. There have also been some concerns over the price of the car vs the actual condition. Unfortunately, I think these things are contributing to keeping this car from finding a new home :frowning:

Well you hit the nail on the head. I was asked to represent the seller as a favor to one of my collectors. And I am happy to report that we are actually getting along very well after a somewhat rocky start. I have been able to have him listen to reason on many of the prices so far. The information I have included in the post is from an appraisal that was done recently. We are certainly open to offers but the offer really should be based on a personal inspection. It’s cold as hell up there now but the car may be viewed at any time. Almost all of the cars in the collection are low mileage and all have been well maintained and stored.

What other cars are in the collection for sale?

I don’t want to hijack the classifieds here so if you want to send me a private message I will send you the list. But a lot of American metal from the 50’s 60’s and 70’s.
I have attached a few pictures.

Owner says rev limiter is missing and that the heater core is bypassed to prevent a leak in the interior of the car.

Hi Cargirl,

Is this car still available, or did it finally find a new home?

Still available

Is it still available?

Cargirl, are you still in touch with the owner? I was when it was advertised but have lost touch with them. I’d really love to come to a deal with them and save the car and get he back on the road.

Yes I am in touch with them and the car is still available. I would love you to come to a deal with them too so we should talk. Can you PM me?

Can’t believe there’s a Boss 302 for sale in my back yard right now. My youngest son doesn’t really NEED to go to college does he? :confused:

Thanks for the update and more realistic price Kelly!

You have no idea what I went through to get to figure out what the engine was. Big thanks to Phil Parcells and Dave Wyrwas.

The car is a good solid example and now with no-stories.

I have a pretty good idea. I’ve been following this one for YEARS now (since at least 2012), as well as the more recent inquiries on the various forums, LOL! Dave and Phil are great - no doubt about it.

I’m glad the owner has finally come down to a realistic price. I think he is much more likely to find a serious buyer now, but you guys might need to do some more digging on what other original, rare and expensive parts are missing.
Carburetor - part number pic of the air horn
Distributor - part number pic of the back side of the dist body
Radiator - part number pic along the upper passenger side ~ near the battery
Fan shroud - part number along the middle of the driver side edge
Cooling fan - part number on each fin / blade.

Hmm… Maybe a shot of the exhaust manifolds?

Just throwing these out there for you. I’m sure knowledgeable buyers are going to ask about them.

Don’t take this the wrong way but I think at $38,000.00 the car is priced right for what we know so far. In other words “As Is.” This guy is 82 years old and it is a one owner car with low mileage. If I get real interest we can look for those numbers but I don’t think it will effect the asking price much. It is in the Eliminator registry and it has a Marti Report all of it is available including detailed pictures if someone wants to e-mail me at
kelly@classictag.net.

Oh I agree! I was mainly just throwing out things you might expect to be asked so you could plan ahead :wink: