1969 Cougar Power Window Electrical question?

I just bought a 1969 Cougar 351w automatic with power windows. I am not all that familiar with Cougar s or there wiring? But I’m going to be!! Question: Is it possible to bypass the power window safety switch (relay) and get the windows to work? I ask this only because that is what i am dealing with. I seen there was something unplugged over by the solenoid and looked it up.I love figuring out what the previous owners mechanic has done??? Somehow the windows are working somewhat? The driver door seems to work just fine. the passengers window is intermittent hit and miss if it’s going to work also slow? the rear window needs help to go up?

I’m going to answer this from intimate/painful knowledge on a 1970, I believe they are same but can’t guarantee it. The safety relay’s function is to allow the power windows to work only when the ignition switch is in run or accessory. That prevents kids and others from running them when the car is unattended. You can jumper it out at the relay. I strongly recommend getting a set of wiring diagrams. There is a free download available from WCCC. https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/p/13497-Manual-Complete-Electrical-Schematic-Free-Download-1969-Mercury-Cougar.html?attribs=87.
There can be a lot of other issues especially if problem is intermittent or specific to one window. I posted a detailed write-up on my experiences with my 1970. You may not need to do all of the same things but it gives a wide perspective and includes a troubleshooting guide.
https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/power-window-issues-schematics-and-troubleshooting-1970-and-similar/7972/1

If the drives window is working well, the relay is not the problem. Check how the passengers window works from the single switch on that door, if it works fine the the switch on the main set is going bad. As for the rear windows, they have a lot more problems, the motor is not a good design and they need more the mechanism greased more often the the front ones. Get a spray can of White Lithium Grease, remove the rear seat and side trims and find the tracks that the window slides up and down on and give them a good shot and get any joints and moving parts too.
Get the wiring diagrams and I also recommend getting a copy of the FORD Shop manual. Books like Chaltons will not get you anywhere as much information as the Ford books do.

Thank you for your reply, I tried the window from passenger side switch still not working. The other windows seem to be getting power. I am going to take the door panel off and test the motor. I suspect the motor is bad or bad connection? I have downloaded wiring diagram. Thank you for the links.

Also check the wiring as it goes between the door jamb and the door. Depending on the history of the car that wiring sometimes gets cut or it could just have a break in from old age. When that wiring goes into the car it connects to the main underdash wiring harness right before the glovebox. Be sure to check those connections. And there is one wire that is attached to the body of the car for a ground.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I found the problem. It was in the master control switch. There was a bad connection for the passenger window. With the help from Roger at WCCC (Thank You). I was able to repair connection and all is working great.
Thank you all!!