1968 xr7 with Sniper Fuel Injection / LOUD Fuel Pump

I have the in-tank pump that mounts on the top of the Holley EFI tank. I can hear the pump but it isn’t terrible. It is mostly drowned out by the duel exhaust tone.

Joe

Perhaps consider using the Tar-like tape they wrap around a/c parts?

That is what I am thinking. With our mild climate I doubt it would overheat and if it did it would be good for me to know as my goal is to thoroughly test the system. I like the idea of no return line and a submersible pump. The price does not seem to steep.

I have been working on a Fordnutz member’s 68 XR-7 390 auto that has the Holley Sniper EFI installed. Like Don said, it starts and runs like a newer vehicle and the power is always right there with no hesitation. If I was building a year round daily driver, I would install the EFI.
The loud external fuel pump is very annoying and requires the radio to be turned louder to help drown out the pump. The owner has complained to the shop that installed the EFI and they wrapped the pump in Dynamat, or whatever, but it is still very loud. We have not been able to find a quiet external pump, so far. I think the only solution may be to replace the stock type tank with a tank that was made to take an internal pump.
If someone has a quieter pump solution… I’m all ears.

Unfortunately you are never going to get away from the noise of an externally mounted electric fuel pump. I installed an Aeromotive Stealth tank in my 67 a few years ago when I installed the Sniper Stealth EFI. The tank was about $500 in 2020 but it looks like they have gone up considerably since then. :astonished: Thanks Brandon.

The only time I hear the pump is when I turn the key for initial prime and start up. After that, no noise at all.

While not the cheapest option you cannot beat Aeromotive quality and service and it is MADE IN THE USA unlike a lot of the Holley stuff.

Brian

I don’t know if you want to change pumps but for anyone planning an installation I’d suggest a close look at the Holley 12-305 in-tank pump that fits the OEM style gas tank. No return line and it’s quiet. I’ve been running it for about a year and a half and I only hear it when I turn the ignition on and then just barely.

Holley catalogue https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/muscle_car_efi_modules/parts/12-305

There is full write up of my installation at:
https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/holley-sniper-and-msd-ignition-conversion-70-351c-4v/13887/1

Look at link I posted above. You can use the factory fuel tank and use their drop in pump/sender. No need to purchase a tank too unless of course you need to replace a tank anyway. In this case I would choose something a little different. However keep in mind alot of EFI/pump dedicated tanks drop in from the top which means your going to have to sort out fuel lines into the trunk compartment along with protecting them from anything you place in the truck.

The areomotive stuff is nice but your right the price has jumped a ton on this setup. If I needed a tank at the same time this is the way I would go but having a good tank already the drop in kit works. I agree about overseas built stuff but I can say the Holley pump and is a decent build and quality.

I know yours is an XR7, which would not have the lower fuel light. SP169A1H It is only available in Canada now, but your not far from the border. It may fit the parameters the system needs? But it my be a shot. It did come in a replacement tank as a assembly F28AFI.

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/SP169A1H

SP169A1H Available in Canada only
POP CODE D
Part Specifications
DESCRIPTION Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly
FUEL TYPE Gas
LOCK-RING Included
O-RING Included
STRAINERS Included
OUTLET Butt Flare 3/8
RESISTANCE 75-10 Ohms
COMMENTS 110 - 130 PSI / 68-77 GPH

Here is the tank with sender assembly for Fuel inj.

https://www.google.com/search?q=F28AFI&sxsrf=APq-WBuoKF3XcJ4IWEMPjd40C94UVKb3JQ%3A1646146952792&source=hp&ei=iDUeYr3ULNyqqtsP7t-T6Aw&iflsig=AHkkrS4AAAAAYh5DmLhp2TnhMregNtyk1E4xfb76BNwD&ved=0ahUKEwi9uPail6X2AhVclWoFHe7vBM0Q4dUDCAk&uact=5&oq=F28AFI&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAEIAEUABYAGDbB2gAcAB4AIABVYgBVZIBATGYAQCgAQKgAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

Following.

Great tip. Not looking to save money on this so Richard and I are going to redo a few things on this and eventually go submersible on it.

I am wondering if your pump is excessively noisy or if I have been incredibly lucky. I am currently doing my 4th sniper install and in all of them we have been able to quite the pump by isolating it from the chassis of the car. From an audio standpoint creating sound requires moving air. The round body of the pump is not going to expand and contract radially. The ends may be able to move though. putting the rubber hoses in a bend at each end create a nice damper on the ends. Internal pump noise can radiate through the outer casing but the rubber under the two clamps should damp that pretty well. Further isolation of the clamps to the chassis by rubber mounting keep those vibrations from being transferred to the body. Also the fuel filter if mounted close the pump helps act as a muffler.

I like tanks inc. they should have something under $300 for a retrofit in tank pump. Walbro pumps. I have one good for 1000hp in my 62 Chevy. One important note: CHECK YOUR GASKET, some are not compatible with ethanol whatsoever.

I was looking at how the pump is mounted to the underside of the car (on the panel forward of the fuel tank) today. I am going to see if I can isolate the pump from the body of the car with some rubber grommets/washers in an effort to quiet this down some.

That’s sound advice from a guy who spent many years working with controlled sounds.

Do not mount the pump to a bracket bolted through the trunk floor. The floor amplifies the sound, even when the pump is rubber mounted to the bracket, which is rubber mounted to the floor with rubber gaskets between the bracket and the floor

Leon, what’s a good mounting point back there?

Even if you put dynomat type stuff on the trunk floor and tank top?

I did that because i could hear my holley in oem tank pump more than I thought I should. Quieted it down nicely. Just have to make sure you have enough vent capability for the tank to offset the increased pressure pull of the electric pump. It originally put my tank in a vaccuum on an hour trip at 80 mph.

Several areas we want to improve on here.

Yes. The floor is dynamatted and there is dynamat under the bracket

Haven’t resolved the problem fully. Reduced the noise by changing from the Holley to a Bosch style cylindrical pump and filter and running the hoses in a way that is like what Bill suggested